books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

An Open Letter to Myself to Not Give Up This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hey you,

I know right now you’re struggling to balance everything with school, work, and home. In the beginning of the year you were so excited to do well this semester and had hopes that it would be manageable and a ton of fun like freshmen year. Instead you got your heart broken, you fell behind on schoolwork early, and every day you feel more and more inadequate. I know you really tried to mediate all of these by putting a smile on your face, going to class, and attempting to always think positive, but I know deep down the fear kept eating away at you. You stopped finding joy in things, you slept rather than face assignments, and you made excuses to be lazy. You began having a negative outlook on life, you stopped hanging out with friends, and you didn’t seek out help when you didn’t do so well on assignments. 

It was then you almost gave up on the semester.

I know why you didn’t give up. You couldn’t look at yourself in the mirror if you did. We both knew that there was, and there still is, hope. Although it may seem like everything is crashing down and this semester is getting too hard: breathe. I’ll say it again: breathe. Remember that as long as you can breathe, as long as your eyes can see, and as long as you’re alive and kicking, there’s always a chance to change things around. Although it definitely takes a lot of time, and you and I both know we hate to wait, there’s always a chance. As the cliché goes, life always gets better and once you pass this dark episode you’ll experience all the happiness and excitement that was worth the wait. 

I love you, so keep holding on.

Love,

Your Future Self

Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.