An Open Letter to My Youngest Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Yes, you are a pain. Yes, you eat my Hot Cheetos. Yes, you get annoying when you bombard me with questions. And I wouldn’t want it any other way. I love being a big sister to such a loving, sarcastic, class clown “little” girl. I adore our humorous relationship that has grown since ‘99.

The stupid meme texts, random FaceTimes, lowkey hilarious childish jokes, and blunt comments I can never have enough of. I feel like such a mom always talking about our relationship to my friends. You may or may not know this but your personality rubs off on me, and I’m pretty sure lowkey you copy certain traits I have, but you’ll probably remark with denial.

We share similar interest that has allowed us to bond even more so. When I come home, I know I have an automatic Bulls watching partner. My favorite activity however is that cooker/eater combo we got going on. You cook us some bomb snack food and I just wait for the signal that food’s ready. You can’t really say that’s unfair. Remember those days when little Moré was too young for a job and McDonald’s dollar menu runs became a Moré deluxe meal with a McFlurry for dessert? Yeah, you were an expensive food buddy. You definitely had a cheating system that had your $2 meal magically turn into a $7 meal when the cashier asked for your order.

I’d like to think I have your back and you have mine. If anyone talks about you in a negative way, if it didn’t come out of my mouth, it’s not allowed. Except mom, she reigns in this household. Let’s not forget those calls in the middle of the day asking if I could ask Dad if you could go out because I’ve become the lawyer of the siblings to persuade the parents. When I drive, you’re my personal GPS. You possess a great road map in your memory that I’m super jealous of. You also hook me up with makeup tips. You got me beat in that department too.

You’re currently in high school dealing with high school stuff. It sucks that we went to different high schools my senior year and your freshman year. I wanted to be that big sister that set the standard for all your classes and teachers so you wouldn’t be able to slack. We didn’t get to watch each other play our preferred sport at the high school level as much as I would have liked. But you’re leaving your own individual and unique mark right now all on your own. I’m proud of you for taking school seriously and managing your financial needs by working at the weirdest combo out there, the library and Chuck E. Cheese. I’m still reminiscing on the days that was our hangout back in the day when we watched Saturday morning Scooby Doo shows and had coloring pages as homework assignments.

Don’t stop your Moré ways, it spices up my life, keep making our parents proud, listen to Kanye, and make the most out of this life. We’ve already wasted so much time in our suburban life. #More5ever

*Up next: An Open Letter to My Middle Sister*            

Irais is pursuing a marketing major at The University of Illinois at Chicago. Coming from the small country town of Harvard, Illinois, she knows there's a whole neighborhood left for her to explore. Checking off her bucket list activities is what she does in the afternoons and weekends when she’s not napping. She currently cherishes her vast music playlist, Netflix account, Pinterest boards, and her growing show collection of Chucks and wedges. Catch her trying to Penny board to class.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.