An Open Letter to My Hometown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Oh the degree of complexity towards you is unreal. I hated you, missed you, forgot about you, and loved you.

High school I couldn’t wait to get away from you and the baggage within the boundaries you carried. The people and drama were becoming too much. I needed a new scene from all this isolation, seeing the same people was getting old. I needed to move on.

Right after graduation, my mindset was counting down the days to my new chapter in life. Soon after the transition, you were there as a comparison to the new atmosphere. You came in second place to college. I was loving the independent life and soon I forgot about you. But then after some time, I began thinking about you again. Reminiscing on past adventures in the buildings, parks, and main street sidewalks brought smiles and laughs back. And because of those past events, you’ve taught me so much from all the years we spent together which I’m now grateful for.

You taught me community values, were the paved road for my first driving attempt, the reason I lost my voice at football games, and most importantly you are a part of me. Everywhere I walk, your name will always tag along because I am who I am because of you. The longest classroom session was you.

I miss you at times. Thought that wasn’t possible, but the history within the grass stains will forever be in my memory.  I’m out here in the world representing many things, and one thing is you. One day I’ll return with a success story that’ll make you proud. I hope those kids walking the very same hallways I did years ago will do the same.

Irais is pursuing a marketing major at The University of Illinois at Chicago. Coming from the small country town of Harvard, Illinois, she knows there's a whole neighborhood left for her to explore. Checking off her bucket list activities is what she does in the afternoons and weekends when she’s not napping. She currently cherishes her vast music playlist, Netflix account, Pinterest boards, and her growing show collection of Chucks and wedges. Catch her trying to Penny board to class.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.