An Open Letter to My Ex-Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Dear Ex-Best Friend,

Honestly, I didn’t think I would write a letter to you. There’s a lot to say, but not a lot to say at the same time because of all the time that has passed between us. I’m not bitter because we’re adults now. Thinking of our friendship is like a distant memory. Years have passed, and we’ve changed, though I can’t say that how we ended our friendship still doesn’t hurt at times, but knowing I have wonderful best friends now reminds me that our friendship had to end. I know this holds true for you since I’m sure as the years have passed, you have great best friends like I do now.

We had a friendship that people thought would have lasted until we were senior citizens in a nursing home. I used to think that it would last that long. Best friends that had a friendship like no other, and one that made others wish they had a best friend like us. I remember when we first met and how awkward we were, but then suddenly we were inseparable. We had a million sleepovers and would see each other after school because we joined the same clubs/teams. We knew each other better than we knew ourselves. We had endless mall trips at a time where I actually liked shopping instead of online shopping. We knew each other’s secrets that we pinky promised to never tell a soul. You saw me cry endless times over boys and would always have ice cream and a movie day ready. We had endless adventures from amusement parks to just adventures in our neighborhood. You were there for all the big moments in my life, so what happened to make you an ex-best friend?

I didn’t know when we grew apart and when you started to hate me. I didn’t know if it was me or if it was our friend group, but the friendship changed, and I was too blind to see it. It’s not easy to accept that your best friend secretly started to resent and hate you. It’s not easy to hear that your best friend is talking about you behind your back and starting rumors. It’s not easy to accept that your best friend is the one making you cry and feeling like you don’t have a friend in the world when it was that same best friend you thought would always have your back. When our friendship ended, I didn’t think I had any friends. We shared the same close-knit friend group that suddenly started to resent me and continued to make me feel alone.

I gained new friends that I couldn’t be happier with because they built me up while you tore me down. They made me believe that not all best friends turn on you, and that, maybe, a friendship that goes all the way into nursing homes can exist. This letter wasn’t to yell at you but to tell you that I’ve forgiven you even when we couldn’t look each other, in the eye, the year our friendship ended. It’s also a thank you because if our friendship didn’t end, I wouldn’t have met friends that made me the person I am now. The friends that will be here for more of my big life moments. You’ve also taught me a lesson that not all friendships are meant to last, and that sometimes ending friendships are for the best. There’s not much more to say other than I hope you’re doing well in life.

Sincerely,

Your Ex-Best Friend

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.