An Open Letter to My Anxiety

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Dear you

you being anxiety… 

I doubt you will hear me, because you never listen. It sucks how when things are hard, you are there to follow. No one knows you are here but me. You are a burden, and maybe at times you push me, but you mostly are something I would never wish on my worst enemy. 

You make my life ten times harder. I do not know what to do sometimes. I feel so helpless. The thing about you is that no one understands you, unless they suffer from you. I constantly freak out and wonder about my future. I look for others’ acceptance because it makes my life easier when everyone else is happy. I feel as if everything can change in a second. 

Someone once told me, “Not every move you make is going to change everything.” But in my eyes, it does. Because of you I am scared of what is to come. That feeling, randomly, is the absolute worst. What makes things worse is that people see me differently because of you. I finally thought I had everything under control because the anxiousness wasn’t around a lot, but of course you caught me by surprise.

The thing is, some people will see you as a set back and may look at me as if I was weak. I even consider myself weak sometimes because of you. But looking at the big picture, I am strong and no one knows what I battle with every single day of my life because you are in it. We can’t choose or pick what gets served our way, so I have to fight you. I will never stop fighting. Times get hard for everyone, and of course there will be days no one can help me, not even myself. You will never fully control my life, you may shape it, but you will never control me. 

Sincerely, 

A Girl Who Should Consider Herself Stronger A Little More Than Usual. 

Anna Rubino

Illinois '19

Anna Rubino is currently a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago and majoring in Communications and Business Administration. She hopes to work in the sports marketing field and use her passion and knowledge of sports as a career.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.