This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The popular rapper announced her retirement on Twitter last week.At just 36 years old, Nicki Minaj is retiring (something I bet we all wish we could do some day). She tweeted “I’ve decided to retire & have my family. I know you guys are happy now”. The first part of her comment seems to confirm recent rumors that she’s pregnant with her fiancé Kenneth “Zoo” Petty. In July, a pregnancy was also hinted at in Nicki’s verse in Chance the Rapper’s track “Zanies and Fools”. She rapped “He the Clyde to my Bonnie, ’bout to walk down the aisle and be a mommy”. The second part of her comment, “I know you guys are happy now,” is referencing the negative press and feedback she has been receiving lately.However, it’s important to note that famous rappers in the past have announced retirements that have never actually happened. For instance, JAY-Z did it in 2003 and Lil Wayne in 2016. Nevertheless, if Nicki’s decision is final, at least she’s leaving an impressive legacy behind. She has been nominated for 10 Grammys and even earned a Guinness World Record in 2017 for most Billboard Hot 100 entries by a solo female artist.

Mia is a sophomore at UIC pursuing a double major in history and Spanish. She is also pursuing a double minor in museum studies and social justice.
UIC Contributor.