This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Christmas is way over and New Years Day has passed. Now, bring on 2021. 2020 has been a rollercoaster of a year that I cannot even put into words. I usually do not do New Year’s resolutions, but during these past two years, I have been trying to work on myself. I think it is important to reflect on yourself and know what you need to improve on to be the best version of yourself. Resolutions are a great way to start the year with a goal in mind. Mine last year was to communicate better. I tend to not fully express how I feel or what I want.

This year, my resolution is to study more efficiently. I know after so many years of school I should know how to study, but last year I received an iPad from my brother in law. It has completely facilitated my way of studying. I bought the Good Note app (which I highly recommend) and I have been testing different ways of organizing notes. I went from using only notebooks to now electronic. Another study tip is repetition, so I like to type my notes using my computer or a wireless keyboard, then after, I print it out and highlight important parts. The iPad is a technology upgrade and my goal is to learn more of the features in 2021. If you are stuck on what to improve on I asked my Instagram followers what their New Year’s resolutions are. 

Ella Bonaldi

Here are their responses:

“I want to hydrate more and be kinder” -A

“Pass my Hawaii and California real estate exam” -N

“Try my best on every piece of art I create” -T

“Start running again and try to meal plan some lunches” -P

Some other common goals, according to GoSkills, include: learning a new skill, becoming more organized, saving more money, and quitting a habit such as smoking. Some resolutions like spending more time with friends and family can be swapped with reaching out through FaceTime. Traveling more can be replaced with planning your itinerary for future trips.  

2020 was the year of reflecting and 2021 will be the year of action. 

Maya is currently a Senior at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Integrated Health Studies with the goal of becoming a genetic counselor. She joined HER and is excited for all the article she will create. She enjoys staying connected with pop culture and all the new restaurants.
UIC Contributor.