New Movie “Yesterday” Shows A World Without The Beatles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

A new trailer was just released for the upcoming film Yesterday. It looks pretty good, and not just because it has Lily James who stole our hearts in Baby Driver and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. The trailer features a man named Jack, an aspiring musician who is in the middle of a songwriting slump. He is then hit by a car after a global power outage. The shocking part is when he wakes up, he is in a world where no one has ever heard of  The Beatles. It seems to be awful until Jack ends up introducing the songs of The Beatles as his own. The trailer shows his fast track to fame, but I suspect it might not all be easy since the trailer shows James Corden bringing people onto his show saying that they say the songs were written by them. In addition to Lily James and James Corden, the film also features Himesh Patel, Kate McKinnon and Ed Sheeran. The later recommends that “Hey Jude” should be written as “Hey Dude.” There’s no release date for Yesterday yet so I guess until then I will rewatch the trailer and just be grateful that we live in a world with The Beatles.

Mia is a sophomore at UIC pursuing a double major in history and Spanish. She is also pursuing a double minor in museum studies and social justice.
UIC Contributor.