This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I am super sad to report the news that One Day at a Time, the Latino-themed take on Norman Lear’s classic 1970s comedy was canceled by Netflix.

The news comes after the February 8th debut of season three. Episodes of the series often face difficult, current issues, from religion and sexual identity to immigration and the various struggles faced by veterans. Netflix cited low viewership for the reason behind the cancelation, but, Netflix, like fellow streamers Amazon and Hulu, does not release viewership information. However, the series has a 98 percent rating among critics and 91 percent audience score on RottenTomatoes.com. In my opinion, those ratings plus the amazing role Rita Moreno played in the show are reason enough alone to keep the show.

On Twitter, co-creator Gloria Calderon Kellett said about the cancellation, “I believe in miracles. So, maybe we’ll find a home somewhere else. I hope we do cause Mike Royce and I have a lot more for these wonderful characters to do.” Also on Twitter, Norman Lear posted, “At my age, I can testify that you are never too old to have your heart broken, I can’t thank Netflix and our partners at Sony enough for the three seasons, but wish I could understand Netflix’s decision to not pick us up for a fourth. Is there really so little room in business for love and laughter?”

Hopefully, there will be a future for the television show, but, until then, I’ll be glad that we got the three great seasons that we did.

Mia is a sophomore at UIC pursuing a double major in history and Spanish. She is also pursuing a double minor in museum studies and social justice.
UIC Contributor.