etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Worth Belongs To Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This for all the people that have ever thought they weren’t good enough. This is also for all the people that told someone they weren’t good enough, whether it was directly or indirectly. For those that ever made someone feel worthless, I’m happy to say that your words and actions no longer have an effect on us at least for me they don’t. I will tell you how your words changed me for the worst and better.

I used to think that I needed to prove myself to you. I used to crave your validation. I constantly felt like if I didn’t have your words of approval, then I clearly needed to try even harder. My friends would ask me why I even put up with you when you would bring me down and I would tell them that I didn’t know. I didn’t know why I felt that your words defined my worth, but it just felt like they did. I never understood girls that put up with people that brought them down, but I understood now. The understanding was that once someone makes you question your worth, it’s a constant cycle of seeking validation. This doesn’t apply to everyone since each person is different.

I forgot my worth and that’s a heartbreaking thing. My friends would always remind me who I was, yet those words always seem to fail me. I would lose sight of who I was, despite those who loved me telling me how special and wonderful I was. There would always be another you telling me I wasn’t good enough, which for some reason trump all the kind words my friends gave me. I started to hate myself for letting your words control me. I stopped loving myself because of your words. Your validation was my weakness.

It took a lot of time for me to realize that your validation is no longer necessary. It’s not to say that another you won’t get under my skin, but I’m stronger now. I’m strong enough to walk away from you. I’m strong enough to not let your words control me. I’m strong enough to know that your words do not define my worth. I am beautiful. I am kind. I am important. I am intelligent. I am good enough. I am worthy. My worth is something you can no longer touch.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.