My Holy Grails of Make-Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Fellow make-up enthusiasts, I’m calling out to you! We all have our own routine and within it, we have our favorite products – our holy grails. I want to share some that completely swept me away since day one.

Two of my main focuses when doing my make-up are eyelashes and highlight. I take my time when applying both because they MUST be poppin’. I’ll start with eyelashes:

My lashes are already long and full -shout out to my moms and pops- so any mascara can compliment them, fairly well; however, I like my eyelashes to be extra. Through Ipsy, I was able to try out some high brand, beautiful mascaras that I loved! Sadly, small free samples can only last so long, and you can only pay over $20 for a full sized for so long. I had to find something I could get at Walgreens and I did – shout out to Maybelline!

(Courtesy of Maybelline)

The Falsies Push Up Angel Washable Mascara is the bomb dot com! I took the risk to go for it because the brush caught my attention, and I thank God for my ‘just go for it’ way of life, man. It’s a wing-effect mascara, and it does just that, for only a little under $10. I take my time applying my mascara, making sure I get every little lash, and the end result pleases me so much!

(Courtesy of Covergirl)

Before I found this beauty, I used Covergirl’s Bombshell Volume by LashBlast, which is a two-part mascara that retails at about $9. Using my same method of application, I got a lot of compliments – P.S. someone saying they thought your eyelashes were falsies IS a compliment. I still apply some after the Maybelline mascara, just because, why not? Check out how it looks after both:

Now, we move to the higher cheekbone. Yes, that young highlight! I’m a highlight junky, I’ll admit it. I began my highlight journey with Jeffree Star’s King Tut. It. Was. LITTTTT! The one good thing about JS Cosmetics is that his products actually come in a decent, acceptable size, but still, $29, plus shipping and handling – it hurts. So, again, I went on the hunt, and during this time, Wet n’ Wild was making a come up.

(Courtesy of Wet N’ Wild)

MegaGlo Highlighting Power is that shit! It blends super well, comes in pleasing colors, and that pigmentation, though! It is everything! It’s legit high-brand quality for only $5 – let me spell that out for you – FIVE BUCKS! It’s so insane and so awesome! Look at this:

For those who know of these and love them, let me get a YAAASSS! To those who have not, you’re very welcome; it was my pleasure.

If you have your own holy grails that you are not willing to let go of, keep doing yo’ thang, boo boo. But, if you are looking to try something new and affordable, I definitely recommend any or all of these. 

Hey there! I'm Dolores Contreras, but call me Lola! I am a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Sociology. This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I'm super excited! It's not just a chance to get more involved on campus, but it's also creating this door of opportunities for life after college, ya' know? And what's best? Putting my writing to work! Yas! 
UIC Contributor.