Music Blog: A Time to Give Thanks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hello Her Campus readers,

This week’s blog is more of a meditation on where life and music meet. With Thanksgiving approaching, it is especially opportune to reflect on all things that deserve gratitude, music included. As an extension of our own successes and defeats in life, we give thanks to music and through music. We’re able to sing what we can’t always say and listen to the inspiring words and sounds of others, allowing them to soothe our souls.

While holidays bring joy and togetherness, they’re also a time to reflect on the less merry, more melancholic times. Sometimes silence is the only answer, and sometimes music is where we place reliance. I’m thankful for music-not for filling the voids, but for carrying us as we try and bridge gaps between heartache and happiness.

Such music that has been especially gratitude inducing this week emerges from indie folk group that calls Michigan and LA home. Lord Huron, Ben Schneider and bandmates, released their first album, Lonesome Dreams, last year and the acclaim continues to accelerate.

Songs string together love, loss and hope.  A beautiful yet bittersweet nostalgia flows through the ten tracks and harbors a commentary on life’s wonders and infinite possibilities as well as its magically and often painfully fleeting nature. Still, tracks like “Brother” and “The Man Who Lives Forever” summon the listener to keep courage close and give thanks for simply living. And because of that, I applaud and advocate Lord Huron’s Lonesome Dreams.

I implore everyone to listen this week and give thanks for blessings abounding.

Meaghan craves music almost as much as a good cup of coffee or a bagel smothered with cream cheese. Therefore, her most significant contribution to HerCampus arises once a week via her "Music Blog" section. Through this column, Meaghan hopes to inform and excite readers, introducing them to a variety of new music and music-related topics. Although difficult to decipher her crystal ball's contents, she would love to be working towards an outlet that combines design, writing, music, fashion, art and entertainment in the future. Obsessions also include the color pink and quoting her favorite films. 
UIC Contributor.