mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

From Disney to horror, this summer will bring a variety of new movies to the big screen that will have everyone anticipating and talking. Most of the movies are sequels or continuations of movies that were released months or years ago. Below is a list of some of the movies that will be released in the next couple of months.

1. Toy Story 4 (June 21st)

Almost a decade later, Disney Pixar is releasing the fourth movie of the Toy Story series. In this movie, there is a new toy by the name of “Forky” who joins Woody and his toy gang. He refers to himself as “trash,” so Woody and his friends take it upon themselves to show “Forky” that he is much more than that. While doing so, Woody reunites with Bo Peep, makes new friends, and lives new experiences that make him, and the others, reevaluate what it means to be a toy.

2. Child’s Play (June 21st)

This movie is basically a remake of the 1988 film Child’s Play and will be released by Orion Pictures. It is an American slasher film written by Tyler Burton Smith. The plot is similar to the original and is centered on a mother named Karen, who gives her son Andy a toy doll named “Chucky,” unaware that it is an evil doll.

3. Yesterday (June 28th)

This movie is a British Musical Comedy released by Universal Pictures, written by Richard Curtis, and directed by Danny Boyle. The plot is centered on a guitarist by the name of Jack Malik (actor Himesh Patel) who realizes that he is the only person who remembers “The Beatles.” He uses that to his advantage and plagiarizes their songs to become famous.

4. Annabelle Comes Home (June 28th)

This movie is an American supernatural horror film that is a sequel to the other two Annabelle movies released in 2014 and 2017. It will be released by Warner Bros Pictures and is directed by Gary Dauberman. The plot is about two demonologists (actor Patrick Wilson and actress Vera Farmiga) who want to prevent Annabelle from creating more chaos by locking her up and bringing in a priest to bless her. However, everything goes wrong when Annabelle awakens the evil spirits in the room who then target the demonologists daughter.

5. Spider-Man: Far from Home (July 5th)

This movie is an American superhero film directed by Jon Watts and written by Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers. It will be released by Sony Pictures and is a sequel to the movie Spider-Man: Homecoming which was released in 2017. In this movie, Peter Parker goes on a trip to Europe with his friends. While on his trip, he is recruited to team up with Mysterio (super villain and enemy of Spider-Man) to battle the Elementals (immortals with power).

These are just a few movies that are premiering this summer. Be sure to try and check them out!

Odalys Lopez is a fourth year college student at the University of Illinois at Chicago planning to double major in psychology and sociology with a minor in biological sciences. She loves exploring the city of Chicago, drinking coffee, watching movies and shows, writing, reading poetry, and listening to music. She loves being involved at school and in the community.
UIC Contributor.