This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Movie viewers nationwide were able to hear the legendary American hero story of Chris Kyle. The film displayed the brutal timeline of Chris’s four tours to Iraq along with the constant fights that he and his family had to suffer through before, during, and after serving our country. Also viewed are the adjusting environments he faced shifting from combat mindset to civilian life.

We see the tolls it took on our lives, our neighbors’ lives, and the overall economy. However, most of us were sheltered from some of the descriptions and images of the Iraq war. American Sniper exemplified the life of a NAVY Seal and his task of a specialized job that included the harsh decision-making of taking lives to save lives. The movie’s main purpose was to show the actions that were occurring on the other side of the world, seeing the dangers that towns had being forced to be in the middle of a battle zone. The movie’s plot focused more on the hurdles he conquered rather than parade all of his medals or create a statue image of superiority, which I believe is a well done job by the screenwriter Jason Hall and the whole cast.

Not only do we see Kyle’s life, the journey his wife, Taya, and their two children took alongside him was an extra insight that elevates the struggles military families have to adapt with. What the film included post-war with Chris’s spare time activities with volunteer work speaks volumes in his character and is very heart warming. It’s a movie that comes with humbling, caring elements to finish it off at the end with real footage to celebrate the life of Chris Kyle. When I personally saw it, the only sound that broke the dead silence in a packed movie theater were tears. That says a lot about the reaction many got from this patriotic production.

Irais is pursuing a marketing major at The University of Illinois at Chicago. Coming from the small country town of Harvard, Illinois, she knows there's a whole neighborhood left for her to explore. Checking off her bucket list activities is what she does in the afternoons and weekends when she’s not napping. She currently cherishes her vast music playlist, Netflix account, Pinterest boards, and her growing show collection of Chucks and wedges. Catch her trying to Penny board to class.
UIC Contributor.