#MeToo Means #YouToo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The trend that has taken over social media is #MeToo. If you don’t know what #MeToo is, then let me explain. #MeToo is a new platform to raise awareness of sexual assault and violence, but to also give support for survivors of sexual assault and violence and a place for them to speak their stories if they choose too. Before we continue, let it be known that if someone doesn’t use #MeToo, it doesn’t mean they are not a survivor of sexual assault and violence, but that they are not ready to speak their stories.

It all began due to the Harvey Weinstein case that is currently still being investigated and Alyssa Milano took to social media and wrote #MeToo. #MeToo, if you didn’t know was started by Tarana Burke about 10 years ago to call arms to women of color in poor communities, who were victims of sexual assault and violence. The question that Burke and I both have is whether the trend #MeToo is going to be a viral trend that dies off in a few months or if we’re going to amplify that sexual assault and violence is a problem and continue to shed light on the problem and make a difference. 

As a survivor of sexual assault, I’m in a conflicting state. I support #MeToo because it leaves a platform of support and is shedding light on a problem that continues to worsen every day, which we have seen from the Brock Turner case, Kesha, and now Harvey Weinstein case. My concerns are that as a survivor that I am not a viral trend. Sexual assault cannot be seen as a viral trend that people can abuse because it’s a real problem that needs to be fixed. My mental health of having PTSD from being assaulted is not a viral trend that can be forgotten about in a few months. The man who assaulted me goes on with his day, as if nothing happened, and as if he is still justified in what he did. #MeToo can also be a triggering factor for some survivors due to the fact that some survivors, like myself, are still learning to heal and cope because despite writing my own #MeToo status it still opened old wounds that are still healing.

Don’t let this just be a viral trend and 3 months later continue with slut shaming. Don’t let this be a viral trend where the next case that occurs the man/woman who assaults a person walks away with a mere slap on the wrist. Don’t let this opportunity go to waste on making an impact on this problem. Change the justice system where people like Brock Turner don’t just get a slap on the wrist because he’s walking free, now, when he should still be in prison. Change the justice system where race is not a factor and things are done fairly, so that attackers receive fair and just punishments. End slut-shaming, and let women come forward with their stories without fear that they’ll be ignored or that their attacker will walk free. Change how we view masculinity, so men are not shamed if they come forward. Teach consent, so when the word “no” is used that men and women know to stop. Stop normalizing rape culture and end it. #MeToo is a support system to shed light on sexual assault and violence and let survivors know they aren’t alone. #YouToo is my call to action for society to actually make a difference by ending slut shaming, changing our justice system, and finally putting an end to sexual assault and violence.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.