Marissa’s Favorite Sites & Blogs founded by Amazing Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Bobbi Thomas – http://bobbie.com/
Bobbie has been empowering others to embrace their style as a positive form of self expression, and is passionate about communicating ”Style is the way you speak to the world without words.” She encourages everyone to match the ‘outside’ with the best that the ‘inside’ has to offer, and believes you don’t have to Do-It-Yourself, but you should Do-it-Your Way.
As co-host of the Style Network’s Fashion Police, Bobbie helped to not only transform viewers, but trends, by taking from the runway, what could work their way. For the past six years, Bobbie has appeared as both a co-host and guest on a variety of E! Entertainment specials, including their annual red-carpet Emmy, Golden Globe, Screen Actors Guild, and Academy Awards coverage.
Currently, millions of people wake up to catch Bobbie on NBC’s “Today Show,” where she serves as Style Editor. Her weekly TodayShow.com Style Buzz articles have become a popular fixture for the Fashion & Beauty section, and are often pulled to also appear on MSN.com and MSN messenger, as well as MSNBC.com’s home page.

Alexandra Briguglio – www.chickagoan.com Our mission is to encourage Chicago women to live healthy, be happy, and love their city by connecting and sharing with other ‘chicks’ who are empowering their lives through physical, emotional, spiritual and financial wellness.  By developing robust social networks of strong, active, and adept women, together we can transform Chicago into CHICKago!
CHICKAGO will continue to expand and evolve, in direct response to the feedback we receive from our loyal members and local businesses — that means YOU!

Carolyn Brundage – http://www.prettycity.com/ PrettyCity.com is a beauty, leisure and wellness website devoted to making women everywhere prettier in some small way and richer in many big ways; by saving them money on the products and services they need to look and feel their best. The site boasts a comprehensive database of the country’s top spas, salons medspas and more including editorial reviews, reader reviews and service discounts plus product reviews, beauty trend stories and more.

Brianne Burrowes – www.Iwantherjob.com
For independent-thinking women everywhere in search of the next best thing I Want Her Job was created for women following their dreams everywhere. Whether you’re in your dream job and gushing about it on the site, perusing jobs other women have that you might want or just reading about what makes other women tick, this is the site for you.
Mission: To inspire independent-thinking women everywhere in search of the next best thing www.careersparkx.com CareerSparx is a 12-week online course designed to give recent college graduates the tools necessary to jump-start their careers. We begin by building a strong foundation – perfecting your resume and cover letter – and progress through all of the steps you need to find a job. You’ll learn tried-and-true success strategies, while leveraging new forms of technology and ways of thinking to put you ahead of your competition.

Nicole Pearl, The Beauty Girl and founder of www.TheBeautyGirl.com has written for national publications including Allure, Cosmo, Marie Claire, Self, In Style, Seventeen, and more. She’s covered NYC and LA Fashion Weeks, has appeared on TV as a top beauty expert and has been a guest speaker for corporations. TheBeautyGirl.com is Nicole’s exclusive insider notebook, sharing her V.I.P. access to the latest in beauty including giveaways, tips and trends. Nicole also offers The Beauty Girl parties, which are great for b-day parties, and girl’s night outs and Personal Consultations where she’ll act as your personal beauty stylist/shopper. Don’t miss out on The Beauty Girl with Benefits promotion going on now: Book a party or consult and receive a free half-hour facial ($90 value) at Exhale spa.  

Amanda Monteiro – http://www.fashionlabchicago.blogspot.com/
MODECollective was created as a resource for young designers, students and fashion enthusiasts entering the professional fashion world. The concept for the blog was created by founder Amanda Monteiro, a fashion industry alum from New York whom upon moving to Chicago found that the resources and support systems for young fashion professionals and students that were readily available in New York were difficult to find outside of the fashion capital. The goal of MODEcollective is to create an environment where questions, concerns, advice and fashion news and history can be shared in order to educate, mentor the talent that will lead the next generation of the fashion industry.

Nicki Brashearhttp://fashionistachicago.blogspot.com/
Fashionista Chicago is your go to style source for everything fashionable in Chicago. Learn about emerging designers based in Chicago. These talented designers are styling celebrities and featured in numerous top fashion magazines including W, Elle, Glamour and Vogue. Find out where all the locals do their shopping. FashionistaChicago has the inside scoop of where to find the most coveted pieces!

Tammy Tibbetts – http://www.shesthefirst.org/category/aspire-blog/
Aspire : this is the blog of She’s the First, a not-for-profit sponsoring girls’ education in the developing world, helping them be first in their families to graduate. The blog posts intertwine the stories of Millennials in the US hosting creative fundraisers with reports on the girls globally whose lives they are changing. shesthefirst.org/blog

She’s the First 360: The She’s the First Tumblr is inspired by its user-generated travel series She’s the First 360, a program in which young people independently organize trips to visit the partners of She’s the First. They capture the stories of girls and their community through photo and video. These posts are reflections of those travels and a collection of the inspiration behind them. Tumblr maintained by Executive Director Christen Brandt.

GIRLS WHO ROCK Tumblr: GIRLS WHO ROCK brings together members of creative communities — design, entertainment, tech — to make our voices heard in unison and sponsor girls’ education for international nonprofits within the She’s the First network. This Tumblr chronicles the development of the 2011 concert, to be held in June during Internet Week New York, highlights news and media related to girls’ education and related technology, as well as updates on the music careers of past and current performers.

ROCK THE PROM, ROCK THE WORLD: The personal Tumblr of Tammy Tibbetts, President/Founder of She’s the First and co-founder of GIRLS WHO ROCK, exploring the link between style and substance, social media and social change, and the power of Millennials to make a difference.

Caroline Orlando – http://www.cocokouture.com
CocoKouture is an online magazine targeted towards girls aged 16-21. CK features fashion, beauty, celeb, & lifestyle + fitness content composed by a select group of fabulous fashion-forward girls from around the country.

Lori Deschene – http://www.tinybuddha.com
Tiny Buddha is about reflecting on simple wisdom, learning new ways to apply it to our complex lives–complete with responsibilities, struggles, dreams, and relationships–and remembering we are not against each other. We are all in this together. “If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path.” ~Buddha

Marissa Govedarica is a Communications major at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is the National Account Executive at Her Campus Media, and the founder of Her Campus UIC. As the Chicago Beauty Specialist for Pop Beauty, Marissa adores making people look and feel beautiful - she is always up to date on the latest and greatest in beauty. Marissa plans to gain a variety of experience in the communication field as she starts her fourth internship, at NBC, in May. Marissa's penchant for perfection keeps her going at all hours of the day. She is a triplet who was born and raised in a suburb of Chicago, and feels right at home living in the heart of the windy city.  Marissa has been featured on IWantHerJob.com, in LOFT's "She Wears the Pants Campaign," and honored as a "Diva" in the "Diva Series" with TCW Magazine. In September, Marissa was selected as "America's Next Inspiration: 50 Young Champion for Women" where she attended a symposium in NYC with Arianna Huffington, Donna Karan, and Sarah Brown, among many. Marissa's creative nature and ambitious, positive attitude allow her to live life to the fullest. Follow her on twitter: @MarissaGov