alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Making Time for Hobbies on a Busy Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

It’s nearing 11:59. You have a few more differential equations to solve, but you’re almost finished. All you have to do next is scan and upload the assignment before the deadline. Easy. Then, it abruptly hits you: you haven’t finished your essay for that one intro class you always forget about. You quickly stop what you’re doing and read over the syllabus to review that deadline. 11:59. On that same overwhelming night. Insert freak-out here!

University life is no easy feat. Aside from being notoriously broke all the time, college students are also known for their procrastination. Procrastination can lead to scenarios as I described above. However, I’m here today arguing that procrastination doesn’t have to be inherently bad.

Now, hear me out. If it’s a decision between studying for your midterm the next day or binge-watching Netflix, you should probably choose studying for your midterm. If it’s a choice between doing that thing you love versus studying for five hours, you should pick doing that thing you love! What I’m trying to say here is that being in school doesn’t have to mean forgetting about your hobbies.

What do you love to do with your free time? Do you love to write, draw, watch crime documentaries? Maybe you like to scrapbook, or maybe you like trying out new restaurants. Ask yourself this: when was the last time you were able to do it? If your answer was “a long time ago,” or, “I can’t remember,” then that’s no good! Some things are fun to do, just because, and there’s nothing wrong with that. If something makes you happy, it’s not a waste of time.

Self-care and emotional health are more important than any quiz, exam, or paper. Believe me! Your emotional health matters. Take care of yourself, master the art of time management, and find time to do the things you love. 

Hello! I'm Maria. I'm a recent transfer student at UIC currently studying bioengineering. I love working on arts and crafts and watching space documentaries on Netflix.
UIC Contributor.