LeaderShape: If you don’t know, now you know!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

On Wednesday, October 4, the LeaderShape 2017 group met for Day 7 at the Commuter Student Resource Center.

The LeaderShape Institute is a not-for-profit organization that has leadership training events for college students. Thanks to UIC’s very own Spencer Long, Associate Director of Student Leadership Development and Volunteer Services (SLVDS), UIC has been able to be a part of the Institute. I was lucky enough to come across the application invite, via UIC Mail, and decided to fill it out and was accepted!

(Courtesy of Facebook)

LeaderShape 2017 took place on May 6 through May 11 at the Loyola University Retreat and Ecology Campus (LUREC). Let me tell you – the experience was like no other and LUREC is gorgeous! Not only were the lectures interesting and enlightening, but the bonding between staff and students was beautiful.

Each day had its own topic, regarding visioning, relationship building, and leading with integrity. The whole group was called the Learning Community and in this community, we would have the big lectures and some activities. The group was then divided into smaller groups called Family Clusters, where we would meet outside the Learning Community, or within it, as well, and go into further discussion.  

Day 7 is the day where we reunite and speak on how life has been since the retreat. Unfortunately, some people were unable to make it, but those who did had some amazing things to share.

Jaqueline Alexander, a junior majoring in Kinesiology, with a concentration in Exercise Science and Health Promotion, minoring in Nutrition, had a vision to raise more awareness on Cardiovascular disease. Since LeaderShape, she started a nonprofit to began raising awareness with a quiz. (Check it out, yeah?)

Jasur Rasulov, a junior majoring in Marketing, had a vision to bridge the gap, regarding political ideologies, we have in the society and to get rid of the notion that comes with disagreeing. Since LeaderShape, he became Vice President for the Political Science Student Union and has organized a Professional Debate Series (PDS) for students. This will create an environment where debating and disagreeing is healthy and become an outlet for diverse ideas. Reach out to him!

My vision was to create more support for the youth in the city, through the arts. Although I haven’t really done any creating, I’ve been going to events and looking for information that I could potentially pass on to them. I’ve also been contacting some organizations, seeing if they need any volunteers or help. If anyone knows anything, holla’ at yo’ girl!

Overall, I definitely recommend LeaderShape to anyone and everyone. It’s so eye-opening, welcoming, and enlightening. You learn a lot about yourselves and others, all while gaining awesome leadership skills. If there’s one thing you need to do, while at UIC, it’s LeaderShape, no doubt.

There will be a LeaderShape coming up this summer, and Spencer is looking for more applicants and Cluster Facilitators – who lead Family Clusters. If you’re interested, and you should be, or know anyone who is, hit Spencer up, asap! (longsa@uic.edu)

(Courtesy of Facebook)

Hey there! I'm Dolores Contreras, but call me Lola! I am a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Sociology. This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I'm super excited! It's not just a chance to get more involved on campus, but it's also creating this door of opportunities for life after college, ya' know? And what's best? Putting my writing to work! Yas! 
UIC Contributor.