Latest Obsession: Boba Run in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Greetings, collegiettes, I am back again with another post! Lately, I have been obsessed with boba a.k.a. bubble tea. Obsessed is probably not the right word to describe my situation, and someone should send help! So far, I have to say that I am in love with ViVi Bubble Tea, and here are 7 reasons why! Disclaimer: This is not sponsored, but ViVi should consider sponsoring me.

1. Proximity to campus

It is right off the Jackson Blue Line stop inside the DePaul University Loop Center on State St. It is right next to the nail salon. Even though I feel like I am betraying UIC, but your girl needs her tea. 

2. Perfect combination – not too Sweet and not too bitter!

I went in wanting an Oolong Milk Tea with Tapioca; however, it was not one of the options on their menu. I asked the staff if there is something similar that they can recommend, and the Black Milk Tea with Tapioca was suggested. I decided to take a leap of faith and give it a try. I didn’t think I would like it because black tea is typically bitter. However, I loved it, and I have been obsessed ever since; ViVi Bubble Tea is hands down one of the best places to stop by for bubble tea!

3. Free tapioca

Tapioca is a pearl shaped, typically brown or black, chewy and soft gelatin that is one of the go-to toppings to a milk tea. They are usually soaked in honey which acts as a natural sweetener, it is also how the name bubble tea came to be, and they do look like little bubbles. Every time you take a sip, you get a little chewy surprise. Also, tapioca makes your drink that much better, and when it is free – yes, girl, yes! 

4. Cute packaging is a plus!

Their logo is like a white mushroom looking sugar skull; I dare you to tell me this is not cute at all!

5. Rewards (stamp) card for repeat customers!

Every time you get a drink, present this card, and you are a stamp away from a free medium bubble tea or flavored drink! If you want a large size, you can pay $1 for it. This is so tempting!

6. Spot on sizing

In the first photo above, I picked out a large. It’s not too big and not too small; I was almost finished with the drink on my train ride back to UIC. 

7. Price is right

Last but not least, the price of bubble tea is the same no matter where you go; a large beverage with tax cost me about $5.30. It is not bad, especially when they make it right, and the tapioca is free. Some bubble tea locations charge you extra for tapioca. On the back of the rewards card, there is a beverage menu with the various drinks they offer, the sizes, and the prices.

Overall, ViVi Bubble Tea did not disappoint me. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is on the hunt for a nice bubble tea location, that is affordable and close to UIC! Let us know what your favorite flavor of bubble tea is, where you get yours, and happy sipping!

Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!
UIC Contributor.