Keeping Your Mente Game Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

We’re getting to the end of the semester, collegiettes! It’s been a stressful jump back in after a long summer. Like almost every college student, a semester of school is juggled with work and a social life. As final papers, readings, and exams pile up, coworkers want to be bitches, and fuck boys are on 100. Ugh…

(Courtesy of GIPHY)

All these things can really fuck up the mente. Exercise, meditation, and yoga are some good way to physically help, but here are a few mental notes I always try to remind myself to keep a strong mind and remember that things will work out:

1. Know your truth.

For whatever reason, anyone and everyone likes to talk shit. No matter what, though, you can’t let anything said about you ever phase you. Know yourself, your values, and appreciate the growth. Let them say what they want because, at the end of the day, you know what’s really good.

(Courtesy of Pinterest)

2. Know who your friends are.

One of the biggest things to remember is not to seclude yourself, but don’t befriend just anyone. Personally, I have a tendency to trust people a little too soon, and before I know it, they’re showing their true colors. Those friends who support you, push you, lift you up, and that are super positive are the ones you need. Nothing feels better than being to really talk it out, relax, or just let loose with someone that you could honestly trust.

(Courtesy of GIPHY)

3. Know your worth.

Wanting a relationship is actually a healthy and normal thing, but some relationships can really drain you, in every way. Don’t put yourself out there for someone who doesn’t really appreciate you. If you’ve given this person hours, and they can barely give you minutes, understand that they might not be capable or willing to fulfill that want. Don’t let that consume your focus, and don’t ever think that it’s your fault, somehow. You are worth it, and you know it! If they can’t see it, it’s their loss. Someone else will come along who sees your worth and appreciates it.

(Courtesy of Pinterest)

4. Know your potential.

Having slip-ups during the semester is a normal thing, whether it be in any of your classes, or work, with friends, and in relationships. A lot of times, slip-ups can cause anxiety and just make you put yourself down. It’s important to not allow negativity to overpower you. You’re in college. Maybe even part of many organizations. You have a job-maybe even multiple. All while continuing to live your young adult life. If that doesn’t demonstrate potential, then I don’t know what does. Keep your goals prevalent, and focus on what’s going good, understanding that the slip-ups are only temporary. (Courtesy of GIPHY)

I know, I know. It’s easier said than done, trust me I know this, man! But, it isn’t impossible; a strong mind is possible, and the outcome is worth it. Stay positive, collegiettes! Things will work out!

(Courtesy of Tumblr)

Hey there! I'm Dolores Contreras, but call me Lola! I am a senior at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Sociology. This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I'm super excited! It's not just a chance to get more involved on campus, but it's also creating this door of opportunities for life after college, ya' know? And what's best? Putting my writing to work! Yas! 
UIC Contributor.