absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Kavanaugh Sexual Misconduct Controversy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

In light of the countless sexual assault allegations that have been raised against high profile men such as Harvey Weinstein, Russel Simmons, R. Kelly, Louis CK, and the recently convicted and sentenced Bill Cosby, Brett Kavanaugh has been added to this infamous list.

Judge Brett Kavanaugh, 53, was named as President’s Trump’s Supreme Court Justice nominee back in July. At that time, Kavanaugh was serving as a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. Kavanaugh’s hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee began on September 4th. On September 6th, Kavanaugh was questioned about the time he spent working with independent counselor, Ken Starr, U.S. Solicitor general during Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial.

The controversy surrounding Kavanaugh quickly changed once Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, 51, came forward and alleged Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct. This alarming report broke out on the Washington Post on September 16th. Once Ford learned that Kavanaugh was named Supreme Court Justice nominee, she wrote a confidential letter to a senior democratic legislator over the summer. On September 23rd, The New Yorker published an article in which yet another woman, Deborah Ramirez, 53, alleges Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct. Just one day before the senate judiciary committee hearing, Julie Swetnick alleges Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct as well.

The day of the senate judiciary committee hearing arrives, and a visibly upset and emotional Kavanaugh gives his opening statement. In tears, Kavanaugh states, “The other night. . .Ashley and my little daughter Liza said their prayers. . .and little Liza said ‘we should pray for the woman’. . .I swear today before my family and God that I am innocent of this charge.'”

This followed Dr Ford’s chilling testimony, detailing her terrifying encounter with Kavanaugh. During her testimony she stated, “I am here today not because I want to be. I am terrified. I am here because I believe it is my civic duty to tell you what happened to me.” Ford’s testimony gave birth to the hashtag: #BelieveAllSurvivors.

The Kavanaugh scandal raises awareness about consent and sexual violence against women. Brett Kavanaugh has yet to be convicted of any of these allegations in a court of law. The Senate judiciary committee closed in an 11 to 10 vote in favor of Brett Kavanaugh, with an impending FBI Investigation, the senate will decide on the Kavanaugh nomination.

UIC Contributor.