This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

You might’ve heard some of his music around campus. Josh Torres is a 20-year-old sophomore who is majoring in English.  He explains how he first fell in love with music. “In my house all I heard was house, 80s indie, and Spanish music, but when I was ten years old my mother introduced me to Eminem’s album the Eminem Show and I fell in love ever since. Shout to my crowd Juice Gang!”

HC (HerCampus): When did you start rapping? What piqued your interest in it?

JT (Josh Torres): In high school I was exposed to poetry slams, open mics, however by my junior and senior I began writing lyrics as I listened to favorite songs and then try rehearsing them. But I really started rapping since the spring semester of my college freshman year, because I knew I couldn’t leave poetry and lyric writing ever. My high school friend At-N told me I had amazing lyrics, my rhythm was good, but he said if I work on a flow I could possibly have a shot. So at the beginning of my sophomore year I said to myself, “lets go all the way!” Going to concerts also piqued my interest in rap, especially when I saw MGK, Wiz Khalifa, and Chance The Rapper. I vision myself up there either opening up for them, rapping with them, and myself on stage in front of a big crowd. Overall concerts, people believing in me, and good music helped to get me started.

HC: Do you write all your own raps? If so, who/what inspires you?

JT: I do write my stuff because I want the audience to see that I am a talented writer. What inspires me to write are the rappers I listen to. UIC, my family, women who believe I have a shot, my squad (Juice Gang), the stories my friends tell me, former high school teachers, current faculty members, historic events on African and Latino American communities, religion, and viewing my friends’ instagram pictures they post if I find them inspiring. Also movies like Juice, Boyz N The Hood, Higher Learning, 12 years of a slave, Girlfight, any film that has a theme on African American, Latino American, Female, or poor White/European-American struggles.

HC: What genre would you put your music under?

JT: Hip Hop, along with Alternative Rap, Poetic Hip-Hop, Realistic Rap, College Rap, but really consider my music “Hipster Trap.”

HC: Do you have any role models or people you look up to? If so, who?

JT: My parents, women, my squad Juice Gang, but mainly the rap game.

HC: Where did the name Joshi Rager come from?

JT: Rager Came from a Kid Cudi album Man On the Moon, Vol. II: The Legend of Mr. Rager that I was in love with my senior in high school, but when I looked at my lyrics they carry a flow of emotions throughout the song and it goes all over the place, therefore my lyrics are “Raging.” Joshi is a nickname my family, high school teachers, and friends. So why not combine Joshi Rager to make my MC name, sound cute and serious.

HC: Have you ever performed in front of people? If so, how did it make you feel?

JT: I did an open mic once at Harold Washington’s Youmedia center, but the crowd was not big and I rapped a small verse in Spanish and the crowd I had was impressed. The security guard fist pumped and said “Dope sh*t,” which made me feel good. However, what really surprised me was when a 15-16 year old girl was telling the next MC to get off and give the microphone back to me to rehearse a Spanish verse. I however performed for my high school’s spring choir concert my junior year and rehearsed a solo to the song “Don’t know why” by Norah Jones.

HC: Is this something you see as a hobby or a career?

JT: At the moment it is a hobby, but hopefully a career.

HC: What else are you involved in, on or off campus?

JT: I run with the running club at UIC, but I wish I had more time or at least live on campus to join a fraternity or a Latino-Hispanic club.

HC: What do you do to get your name out there? How do you advertise your music?

JT: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Soundcloud, Tumblr, anything that the media can reach to me.

HC: Do you have any goals for yourself?

JT: Change Hip Hop and how the media views it.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

JT: Hopefully touring, married, collaborating with other rappers maybe Ariana Grande too. But if I don’t make I would not mind sticking with Juice Gang writing lyrics for them or a becoming a ghost writer for anyone.

HC: What celebrity do you think you would be best friends with?

JT: If 2pac was alive, definitely him! But who’s alive, Mac Miller.

Sydney is currently a junior at UIC. Apart from writing the Campus Celebrity column for HerCampus-UIC, she also serves as the Vice President in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. As of now her major is undeclared, however she would like to major in marketing and finance. When she is not on campus, she is working at her internships, going to concerts, hanging out with friends, and enjoying life as it comes. In the future she hopes to go into some sort of public relations career, such as event planning, but also keeps her options open. Sydney works hard and tries to take advantage of as many opportunities that come her way!
UIC Contributor.