Jesus Corral (J. Larroc)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Meet our last campus celebrity of the semester. The multifaceted Jesus Corral. With his busy architecture student, DJ, and Graphic Design schedule, he was nice enough to sit down with us and share a little bit of his life with us. ENJOY!

Name: Jesus Corral (J. Larroc)

Year: Grad School

Major: Architecture

Hometown: Roselle, IL

What are some of your hobbies/interests?

It’s hard to have any hobbies with architecture but when I do have time I do Graphic Design, I also Dj on the side, I like doing anything Creative.

How did you come up with your DJ name?

I was trying to think of a quick password for something and my dad recommended using my name backwards. This way it would be hard for anyone to figure it out. I typed in jlarroc, and decided that it sounded really good to me. I’ve stopped using it as a password since then.

How does it feel to be graduating?

It seems like its default. It doesn’t feel like an accomplishment to me since its constant hard work and dedication and I will also be going to grad school. However, my family says it is and they are really proud of me.  I’m the first generation in my family to make it through college. The younger ones are all going to college as well but I’m the first older generation, so my parents are really proud.

What are your plans after?

I will be going to grad school for two years. I got accepted to UIC’s Architectural program. I also plan on working towards my AIA license after grad school which typically takes about two years. 

What are in Architecture do you want to get into?

I would say Urban Design. But in reality you won’t know your focus until you get into grad school because in your undergrad studies everyone kind of learns the same basic training and you are not exposed to as much.

How did you get into DJ-ing?

I remember watching this amazing tribute to Jam Master Jay where Jazzy Jeff, Kid Capri, and Grandmaster Flash did small battle sets for Jay’s tribute. I just fell in love and I knew that I wanted to do that too.

Also, when I was in eighth grade there was this scratch battle, beat juggling contest on TV.  This was another factor in gaining my appeal towards mixing. I worked for about a year and a half mowing lawns and other odd job to save money to buy my turntables. I bought two small record turntables, an ok mixer, and a small speaker.  From then on I really put it to use and started to play records.

After many years of playing with it, I sold it all in 2008. I decided to do this because I was transitioning into doing it more seriously.  I was moving to the city and I knew I would need new equipment (more up to date) to be able to play here.  So I used the money I got from my old equipment and all my other music instruments; drum sets, keyboards, bicycles, and anything I had of value really. I got 1210 m5g technics and a Pioneer DJM 800, a Serato Box, which were the very best at the moment. I spend a total of 5,000 on everything, got everything new and had the best foundation to start.

Was it easy getting started as a DJ in the City?

It was slow but what made it easier was my friend Eli. He is cousins with a guy named Leo who is in the band Perfect Kiss and that small connection opened up many doors for us.

How did you get involved with Risky Productions?

One night on April of 2011 my friend Eli was putting on this huge event for Risky, which was supposed to change everything.  From the beginning the venue dropped out so we had to move quickly and find another place for the event. On the night of the event were everything supposed to be perfect everything started going wrong.  I helped him through this tough night and help him save lots of money that he would of lost otherwise and from this night on, he added me to Risky Productions and built a strong brand since then. Here is a video of that night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?…

What venues do you usually play at?

I usually play around Wicker Park. Primary Night Club, Debonair Social Club, Evil Olive, Exit, Crocodile, etc.

Do you see yourself doing it in the future?

I do see myself still doing it in the future. However I do not rely just on DJing. A lot of people do this but it’s not a safe bet because not a lot of people make it big. However, Zebo is someone who has managed to make it through. He is one in millions who do. He currently has a residency in the Mid and also teaches at Columbia.

What advice do you give to people who want to this in the future?

To just be a good person. If you’re just a good person to everyone you meet you’ll be ok. The most successful people I know are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

What do you think of the stereotype, “All Djs are into drugs and alcohol”?

I think that it is true for most. But it is not my taste.  I actually don’t even like going out or drinking that much. I would much rather eat or hang out with my friends, watch movies, or do something more chill. But because it is in my best interest to do it, I do. I enjoy being behind the scenes in big events, helping making all the magic happen, that’s what I most enjoy doing. I like getting the crowd going as I play music. You just can’t beat that feeling.

So you’re a graphic designer as well?

Yes, this is something that came natural to me. While in High School I took a communications class because it was supposed to be a blow off class. For this class we had to use Photoshop and I loved it, so I took other classes of this my last two years of High school just to mess around. This proved useful later on when I actually started doing graphic design in school for Architecture.

I’ve been lucky enough to be able to do graphic design at a professional level. I designed the whole look for Risky Productions.  I’ve Rebranded Zombies vs. Skeletons logo. Last year I did Graphic Design and helped out with marketing for Lolla.

How do you get your inspiration when you play?

My inspiration comes from an accumulation of everything I soak in. I hear everything form Jazz to Indie and this is how I get my inspiration.

Who inspires you? And why?

My friends. They are great people. I get inspired by every single one of them. I believe that good inspiration comes from building on ideas that were already created.

What quote or saying do you live by?

“Make Cool Shit”- This could be applied to design music or just anything. Make it how you want it, don’t follow the norms. Just be and create what you want.

Social media pages:

https://www.facebook.com/Risky…

https://www.facebook.com/larro…

Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.