This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Whether you are starting to get into makeup or you’re a pro who likes to try new products, this monthly subscription could be right for you!

What is it?

Ipsy is a monthly subscription service that delivers five samples of makeup or tools from different brands. Some of the things you receive can vary from sample to deluxe sizes. All the products come in a cute bag that goes along with the theme of the month.

Cost

The cost is $10 a month. This includes the bag, the five samples, and the shipping! Billing begins at the second of each month so be prepared for a $10 charge if you continue on with the subscription. Shipping usually begins at the 10th or 11th of each month.

How do they know what to send?

When you first start your profile you will be asked to take a quiz. This is a quiz that requires no studying since it’s used to get to know you better. They will ask you about your eye color, hair color and type, your skin tone and type, your comfort wearing makeup, looks that you often opt for, which brands you would like to try, and what products specifically you would like to receive. Not all the products that you choose are the ones you will get; sometimes they send in a hair product even though you had not asked for one because they believe it will work well with what you answered on the quiz. You may retake the quiz to update your answers in case you dye your hair or want to try something new or stop receiving a certain item.

What if I don’t like the products?

You may always retake the quiz, but the point of this subscription service is to get to try new brands and products. You may receive a lip stick in a color that you wouldn’t normally wear, but the fun part is trying it out to see if you really don’t like it, or if it is something you can use in certain occasions. It is normal to not always like what you receive in the bag, but the point is to be exposed to different products and brands you aren’t familiar with. To keep this from happening again, you can always review the products. When reviewing the products, they ask you if you like the brand, if you like the color or texture, and this type of product. Ipsy will take your review into account for your next bag.

Discounts

Ipsy often offers discounts to the brands you receive in your glambag. You get access to discount codes to use on the brand’s websites when checking out. They also have offers for discounted sets of products from the brands they work with.

Points

You can rack up points each month by reviewing the products you receive and referring friends to join the Ipsy community. Sharing what you got in your bag on social media and following the people behind Ipsy can also score you some points. The points are redeemable for extra products in your ipsy bag each month.

Giveaways

Ipsy does huge giveaways each month through social media. You upload a picture as they state, followed by the corresponding hastags. Profiles must be public in order to qualify.

So if any of this sounds appealing, head on over to Ipsy’s site to set up your profile and get on the waiting list to join! You can sometimes skip the waiting line by following the Ipsy staff on all their social media platforms, so be sure to do that if you mind being on the waiting list.

Hi, I'm Daniela. I'm a Sociology major with a minor in Criminology and Business Administration. I have been involved with Her Campus since my freshmen year, working in editorial, marketing, and social media. As president of Her Campus UIC, I am excited to see our chapter grow throughout my last year here.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.