This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Over the last few months I’ve found myself uploading less and less onto Instagram. Don’t get me wrong; I look at my feed every day and marvel at amazing outfits, beautiful girls, and picturesque beaches. But how many times have you found yourself taking a few selfies before you go out? Or taking a photo at dinner looking back at it later and being slightly disappointed? Why the disappointment? You had a fun time. I bet you looked nice and your outfit was on point. Who cares if it is flattering lighting or the outfit photo cut off your shoes?

The pressure to find an Instagram worthy photo, to show how cool your OOTN (outfit of the night) was, or how delicious the restaurant you ate at is silly. But I am embarrassed to admit I have this nagging feeling in my head reminding me to get a good photograph in instead of just enjoying myself. When I flick through my camera roll the next day and cant find a photo to Instagram, I kick myself for not being able to take a good photo, not doing my makeup quite right, or not having abs like a VS Angel.

What inspired me to write this article was that I found myself looking back at old photos and thinking that I liked how I did my makeup, or my outfit was nice. However, at the time I remember feeling that photo wasn’t good enough. Celebrities use ‘glam squads’ and spend thousands of dollars on clothing and beauty so it is unlikely that we can look like them. Add Photoshop into the mix too! It is unattainable, so why should we feel constantly inadequate because we don’t have the resources to look like Kim Kardashian or J LO?

Instagram should be a place to share memories not an app that creates insecurities or feelings of inadequacies because our photo isn’t as perfect as others. I think we should remind ourselves of that more often. It is important to be kind to ourselves and feel confident, instead of obsessing over our insecurities. And if you don’t believe me, listen to Marilyn Monroe: ‘a smile is the best makeup a girl could wear’

Isobel, 20, 
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.