Impactful Travel Experiences for International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Someone once said that “travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer,” but the secret to just how rich one becomes lies in the quality of the experiences that they have abroad. All of us travel for many reasons, and despite the distance, we do it for pleasure or work because we go with a set purpose in mind: to make an impactful change in ourselves and others around us.

One of the most rewarding travel experiences to make such a change incorporates active engagement with do-good organizations. In light of Women’s Independence Day (March 8th), a globally recognized day that celebrates the cultural, social, economic, and political achievements of ordinary women, I would like to call attention to the world’s leading platform for social impact travel experiences: Visit.org.

The startup of this nonprofit and community-based enterprise offers immersive and impactful travel experiences that cater to the local and unique culture of 63 underserved countries. Astoundingly, globe trotter participants through this organization are never short of easy and accessible voluntourism opportunities.

Notably, every experience exposes tourists to the culture of local individuals and gains 100% of its host revenue so that it is invested back into the community. Any of these travel itinerary builders are sure to provide a direct, meaningful, and lasting impact on you and the members of these communities on a global scale.

Moreover, with roughly 500 affordable activities to choose from, a large handful of them aim to benefit and empower women in those local communities. Just to name a few of these partnering organizations, the Artisans Angkor in Cambodia is where travelers can create their own silk scarf, at the Fundación Chol Chol in Chile you can learn about local textiles and pottery from indigenous Mapuche artisans and craftsmen, with CADEM  make tortillas by hand with indigenous Mexican women, or try weaving in Peru at CTTC.

Along with services to women empowerment, Visit.org also seeks to promote support for the environment, human rights, animal welfare, and heritage preservation. All of these services are in partnership with Expedia and TripAdvisor. More information can be found on their website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, LinkedIn.

So the next time you’re on a trip, add some of these impactful fun experiences to your to-do list. And if you haven’t already made plans for spring break, the time to start your involvement begins now! Know that your time abroad is guaranteed to be an enriching experience that can’t be found anyplace else.

Monica is a lifestyle, beauty, and travel blogger for Her Campus at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is a full-time, Dean's List student studying elementary education with a concentration in English. Before joining the editorial team, she dedicated countless hours of volunteer work as the Community Service Chair for Chi Sigma Omega sorority. When she graduates, she plans to teach and volunteer in underprivileged communities overseas. Her hobbies include running, binge-watching Friends, baking, and traveling.
UIC Contributor.