I Don’t Know What I’m Doing and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The end of the semester is upon us, which means for some of us a much-needed vacation, a bunch of stress, or completely not knowing what you’re doing. It’s my senior year next fall and I have no idea what I’m doing. It’s crazy to say that I don’t know what I’m doing when I’ve had 3 years to figure it out, but it happens.

We, sometimes, don’t know if the major we picked for ourselves was the right decision. This doesn’t apply to everyone, since some people knew right from the start what their major was going to be. They had a whole game plan set out for them and even during their freshman year they knew what their post graduation plans were going to be. I wish I could be like those people that have their whole lives figured out, since it would be less stressful. I’m in the other boat, where you think you have life figured out, but you don’t or you completely have no idea what you are doing.

People always ask if you know what you’re doing, what your major is, what kind of career you want to pursue post graduation etc. If you’re in the other boat with me, then the usual answers are whatever you think your post graduation plans are, what you think your major is when really you don’t know if you want that major, or you’re just blunt and say that you have no clue what you’re doing. There are a variety of things that could’ve put you in this boat. It could have been a class that was difficult and made you wonder if you were smart enough. It’s been told to us at times that things tend to get harder with each class you take for your major, so you think to yourself if I’m failing orgo chemistry, then how am I suppose to do the rest of my classes. It could be that someone as told you that you weren’t cut of for a profession because you, apparently, were not qualified enough. It could be that you’ve been rejected from a lot of schools for post grad plans and now you think you’re screwed. It could be that you’re afraid you might end up hating your career choice later on, so now you’re in limbo figuring out what to do.

It’s okay to not know what you’re doing. You don’t have to have everything figured out. I know that we’re constantly told that we need to have everything figured out, but you don’t. It’s okay to feel like you picked the wrong major or career path. You have time to switch things around. College doesn’t mean you have to graduate in four years. You don’t have to live up to anyone’s expectations, but your own. Take a year off, if you need to so that you cant figure out what’s best for you. Take classes that interest you. If you picked your major because of the money and not because you’re actually passionate about it, then you need to rethink things. There is no such thing as an easy major, since every major may have its own difficulty. Do something that you love because at the end of the day it’s your life.

Hi I'm Aeja! Junior at UIC and a Pre Nursing Major. I try to write what inspires me, so I hope you enjoy my articles!
UIC Contributor.