How Wearsafe Can Make Collegiettes Feel Secure

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I’m a young woman living in the city. I often take public transportation by myself. I enjoy going out at night to try different restaurants, museums, and stores in the various alcoves Chicago has to offer. I leave my mace in my bag, I don’t wear rings, and I walk with my headphones in. All of this worries my loved ones. It’s a sad thing to say, but women are a target for violence. This is our reality. But still, we have lives to live, places to go, and we want to have fun without having to worry about being a victim to a terrible crime. Recently, I was gifted a Wearsafe panic button to try out, and suddenly my anxiety was gone.

For $5 a month, Wearsafe provides you with a panic button and a free app. The button (or “Tag”) comes with a keychain and clip. You can attach it to your keys, wallet, or you can wear it on your pants, pockets, etc. I prefer to wear mine and generally keep it on my hip.  

The app is completely free for download and people in your network do not have to pay. Only the person with the Tag has to pay the monthly fee. On the app, you can invite your friends, family, and others into your network. These are the people who will be alerted via the app if you ever click the button, signaling that you are in trouble. They will know your location and can hear onsite audio of the situation.  Not only will they be alerted, the app will create a “group chat” where your network can discuss what should be the best route to save you. If the situation is in dire need, there is a “Call 911” button on the screen as well. Say you misread the situation or accidentally pressed the button, you can close the alert by providing your birthdate.

Wearsafe has provided me with a sense of security, more so than the mace that sits at the bottom of my backpack. I know that if I am ever in trouble in any way, I can just press the button easily accessible on my own body. It provides me with a way to be safe while living on my own, and provides my family with comfort knowing they will be the first to know if I’m ever in danger.

For such an affordable price, you can have peace of mind with a discreet button and app.

Christiana is a Communications major with a minor in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Originally from a very small town in central Illinois, she spends most of her time exploring the city. She enjoys live music, poetry, and cheesy indie comedies. Catch her around campus to talk about the latest in hip-hop releases.