This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

How to take care of your Natural Hair!

1.) Know your hair type

Millions of women worldwide invest in ways to grow their hair, retain length, or manage their hair types. It’s easy to look on YouTube or Instagram for inspirational ideas, but the results are different for everyone. The biggest trend I’ve seen this year is CURLS! As a black woman, it brings me joy to see other black women perfecting their natural hair. It’s amazing to see the various curl types too (2b, 3c, 3b, etc). One important thing to note is that knowing your hair type can help guide you when selecting hairstyle methods, routines, and products. I have 3c/4a hair. 

2.) Choose the hair products that work for you

I must say that I’ve sampled several hair products for my hair type, but the process isn’t easy. First, there are so many options to choose from. I mean, from Shea Moisture and CURLS to Carol’s Daughter and Aunt Jackies, why should I have to limit myself to get a few items when shopping at the Beauty Supply store? 

Here are some quick tips: (1) Always ask the beauty supply store for sample packages of the product, so you can decide if you want to buy it in a larger size; (2) Look up the reviews and ratings from previous customers before purchasing a product.

3.) Avoid products with high alcohol content and proteins

You’ll be surprised to find out how many beauty and hair products have unnecessary chemicals in them. When it comes to deciding my hair products, I typically avoid alcohol, collagens, soy, sulfates, silicones, and parabens. Of course, there are many other chemicals to avoid, but these are just a few. Certain chemicals can prevent hair growth, impact our mood swings, and can lead to certain cancers. 

4.) Make your own hair products from scratch

All-organic is another trend that people are tuning to! Living an organic lifestyle helps the environment and eliminates unwanted toxins for our bodies. Personally, I make my own shea butter with oils for my hair, and I’ve seen tremendous results. Social media has several video tutorials on how to make natural hair products. 

Nikiya Alfred is the current events director for the UIC HER CAMPUS chapter. She's a third-year college student from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a passion for problem-solving issues in the CPS system. As an Urban Education major with a concentration in English Language Arts, she wants to explore more on Educational policy. This is the perfect opportunity for her to build relationships with other women who have a passion for writing. Please follow her on Instagram @Moondoll_7.
UIC Contributor.