This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

You know that one t-shirt you just love to wear? The one that, as soon as it’s out of the dryer, it’s on your body! For me, it’s a Clearwater Beach t-shirt I got in Florida a few years ago. The decals are beginning to crack but, the shirt looks even worse because of pilling. If you don’t know what pilling is, a “pill” is a tiny ball attached to an article of clothing. You can pick the balls off, but that takes forever. That’s where a razor becomes your bff. I grabbed mine at the dollar store for the purpose of restoring these pants that are covered in pilling. You can see some of the pilling on the pants in this picture. After just one swipe though, I was able to get some of pilling off. After about another 10 minutes, almost all of the pilling was basically gone and my pants looked new-ish again!

If you decide to do this, make sure you aren’t too rough when shaving or you can cut a hole in the fabric. If you’re looking to “shave” more of your clothes, I recommend looking into a “sweater shaver” or “fabric shaver” which work faster than a razor. 

I hope this little trick helps give your clothes a hundred more wash and wear cycles!

All photos were taken by the author. 

Aggie is an English major with a concentration in professional writing at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.