How My Little Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

So as everyone at UIC knows, I am in Chi Sigma Omega, a local sorority on campus. Joining this organization was probably one of the best decisions of my life. To join a group of girls to make a difference was so incredibly humbling and taught me so much about sisterhood and so much about myself. In the fall of 2016, I was in the running to receive a little, which is a girl who you take upon under your wing as a mentor. Coming Fall Recruitment, I read my Big Little promise of always buying her chicken when she wanted them and promising that Little that I would do my very best to be there for her. Immediately, I fell in love with Courtney.

She was this perfect human being. When talking to her, her eyes lit up when talking about her passions, her dreams, and aspirations. She voiced that she wanted to do more for the community and that fueled her fire. She was perfect. She was kind, compassionate, well-spoken, loving and such a radiant soul that looking at her made me so happy.

When I became her Big, my heart was overcome with happiness; I couldn’t wait to guide this beautiful human being into what she was destined to become. Courtney has shown me nothing but compassion and kindness. She has given me the opportunity to be a better leader, a better friend, and a better woman all around.

She has taught me that honesty is your calling card and kindness is your friend. She taught me how to be myself unapologetically, she has taught me the value of loving myself. She encourages me when I feel like I cannot do it anymore. She builds me up. She allows reminds me how beautiful I am. She reminds me that I am the most badass woman in the world. She’s my person. She’s the peanut butter to my jelly. She’s my precious little. I couldn’t live my life without this kind human being. Thank you Courtney for showing me an immense amount of love and kindness and being my person. The world would not be the same without your laugh or your smile. Thank you for changing my life. 

Senior at the University of Illinois-Chicago, studying Integrated Health, with a Nursing goal!
UIC Contributor.