This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Ingredients:

1. 3 Cups of Rice (Long-Grain)

2. Brown Sugar

3. 1 Stick of Cinnamon Bark

4. 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder

5. Vanilla Extract

6. 11 Tblsp Can of Evaporated Milk

7. Water

8. 1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk

9. Nestle Abuelita Chocolate (optional)

10. Ice Cubes

Kitchen Utensils:

1. Measuring Spoons

2. Large Bowl

3. Glass Pitcher

4. Whisk

5. Blender

6. Sieve

Step one: In a large bowl, pour 3 cups of rice. Next, add 1 stick of cinnamon bark and pour water into the bowl until it fills up one inch over the rice. You want to let this sit in the refrigerator overnight. What this does is hydrate the rice and cinnamon bark.

Step two: The following day, you want to drain the water from the rice and give it one more good rinse. Keep the cinnamon bark with the rice. Next, pour about a gallon and a half of water into a glass pitcher. To this, add 2 1/2-3 cups of brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it). You want to mix the water and brown sugar with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved.

Step three: In a blender, put in 1 1/2 cups of hydrated rice, the cinnamon stick and 1 cup of water. Blend until consistency is smooth. With a sieve over the glass pitcher, pour the blended rice and cinnamon mixture into the sugary water.  

Step four: With the other half of the rice, pour it into the blender. With this, add 1 can of evaporated milk and 1 round of Nestle Abuelita chocolate. If the chocolate is too hard, you can put it in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften it up. Add 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Pour this mixture over a sieve into the glass pitcher. Next, to the glass pitcher, add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Whisk the finished horchata with a whisk to mix all of the ingredients together. Add ice and enjoy this sweet and creamy beverage.

Stephanie Saranga is an charismatic, loving, and hard working student who is currently attending The University of Illinois at Chicago. She plans to major in Urban Education and master in Speech Pathology. During her free time she enjoys to listen to music (specifically rap and R&B), read, bake, and paint.
UIC Contributor.