How To Make College Furniture Work In An Adult Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

One of the most exciting parts about college and adulthood is moving out on your own. You can finally decorate how you want (within lease agreement terms) and pick out your own furniture. But, you still are in college and/or broke. Your first apartment doesn’t have to look like a frat house.

1. Opt for a stylish futon

Sometimes all we can afford is a futon. But that doesn’t mean we have to settle for the wire frame and thin mattress. There are stylish options out there.

Mainstays Morgan Faux Leather Tufted Convertible Futon ($169) 

Novogratz Vintage Tufted Sofa Sleeper II ($339) 

2. Butterfly chairs don’t have to be an eyesore

Everyone had one in their college dorm. Meet the grown-up version of the butterfly chair you used to study, binge-watch, and eat in.

Sharon Butterfly Lounge Chair ($105) 

Furlicious Faux Fur Butterfly Chair ($129) 

3. Loft beds aren’t just for dorm rooms

Let’s face it, sometimes our first apartment isn’t as big as we imagined it. Often times, the first apartment is barely a step up from the dorm room you shared with another person. Don’t be afraid to utilize the space by using a loft bed.

Maurice Loft Bed ($294) 

Jackpot! Loft Bed ($510) 

4. You don’t have to sacrifice the comfiness of bean bags

Bean bags are inexpensive and flexible, making it perfect college furniture. They are also extremely comfy and relaxing. Just because you’re grown up doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice all these elements.

Fuzzy Sand Bean Bag ($129) 

Big Joe Bean Bag Chair ($113)

5. Mini fridges are incredibly useful

Although you may now have a kitchen, you’re probably still sharing it with roommates. Chances are that fridge can get full. It may be wise to invest in your own fridge to store some items. One of these has a bottle opener on the side and the other you can dedicate solely to your rosé collection.

3.2 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator ($170)

12-Bottle Wine Cooler ($119)

Christiana is a Communications major with a minor in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Originally from a very small town in central Illinois, she spends most of her time exploring the city. She enjoys live music, poetry, and cheesy indie comedies. Catch her around campus to talk about the latest in hip-hop releases.