How La La Land Is Magical And Realistic At The Same Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

One of the year’s most buzzed about movies, La La Land, is hitting some historical strides. Starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, the movie is set in modern day Los Angeles as the two follow their dreams as 20-somethings to, respectively, open a jazz club and become an actress. The movie was written and directed by Damien Chazelle and has received a few awards already, even though we are just starting awards season! The unique thing about La La Land is that it is a complete original musical, something we haven’t seen on the big screen in a while.

In relation to its name, the film’s cinematography reminds viewers of a dream like state. Using bright colors, flowy fabrics, and subtle lighting, the film provides a surreal feeling throughout. Similarly, the music is nearly always upbeat and fast-paced. In contrast, the film’s plot is much different and much more realistic than the cinematography and soundtrack provides.

Caution, some spoilers ahead.

The film portrays a world that we, as young adults, know all too familiar. When we meet someone new and interesting, it feels like a dream. Suddenly, colors are amplified, birds are singing everywhere, and you have a bit of a pep in your step. But also as a young adult comes the burden of responsibility, bills, and the feeling that maybe you’re just going to become a failure. In turn, these burdens can drastically impact your dream like state.

La La Land tells this story that we know so well. The mix of surrealism and realism in our everyday lives is portrayed on screen. The two characters, while they don’t end up together, are grateful for their time together. It’s not a happy ending (in the way we normally see). They don’t end up back together, there isn’t some massive kiss between Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. Instead, there is just a smile. They have created their own lives, because the life as a 20-something isn’t the same life you will have as an adult.

It is rare to see a real world on screen. Movies, most times, are used to escape reality. Most times, there is that big kiss between the characters. Most times, they do end up back together. But in reality, that’s not how life always works. In fact, that’s rarely how life works. La La Land shows that there is a way to portray real life problems and struggles on screen while using stereotypically upbeat and unrealistic (i.e. musicals) types of film. There is a place for the mix of dreams and reality in Hollywood. 

Christiana is a Communications major with a minor in Sociology at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Originally from a very small town in central Illinois, she spends most of her time exploring the city. She enjoys live music, poetry, and cheesy indie comedies. Catch her around campus to talk about the latest in hip-hop releases.