This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Sometimes you think you will be with someone forever. You hope the relationship never ends, and that things will be the same way they were ever since the beginning. But, sometimes, things don’t really go your way. So, at what point do you know it’s better to leave the relationship rather than stay?

Here are a couple of signs that say you may need to take a step back:

1. When you are distancing yourself from him and/or he is distancing himself from you.

Everyone can feel when someone isn’t acting like themselves. You feel as if they’re acting different and something feels off. This could go vice-versa as well. You could, in fact, feel this way about your significant other. This is the time when you bring up a conversation of what’s going on. Maybe it’s not you, or maybe there really is something going on. Communication is key to relationships. After you both have talked about it, the next question on whether the relationship should continue is bound to come up.

2. When you spend more time arguing and being mad at each other rather than being happy with each other’s presence.

Yes, there will be fights and things that are going to need some working out, but this should not be a daily thing. Fighting with your significant other constantly will only lead to negative things and will affect your health. It might be time to separate.

3. When you begin to experience any sign of abuse. It could be mental, physical, emotional.

If you are experiencing any abuse from your significant other, then it’s time to end everything.

4. When they begin to keep things from you.

When your significant other is keeping things from you, or even if you catch him constantly lying, it’s time to step back, talk about it, and decide what the next move should be.

5. When they exclude you from their life.

When they start to avoid taking you anywhere with them and they never make time to hang out with you, this is a sign that their actions must be addressed and you both need to come to an agreement about whether or not you would consider moving forward in the relationship, or ending altogether.

My name is Evelyn I love to be adventurous and try new things. I am a pre-nutrition major at the University of Illinois-Chicago. I love food, friends, and tacos.
UIC Contributor.