This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

“Stock pile before the pandemic” was a term that I heard from Extreme Couponing. Or in some type of apocolypse movie where the main character had a basement full of mason jars. Now, the idea of having a stock pile is something we have to think about. With the combination of an election during a pandemic, we need to stay home as much as possible. Due to this combination, there is a sense of uncertainty and it can cause anxiety to those who need reassurance. One way that I provide reassurance for myself is getting the supplies I need to feel secure. Living in a dorm that limits the amount I can stock up on. So, I complied a list with what to focus on. Before ending, I want to acknowledge the effort it takes in stockpiling. It takes time to coupon, look up sales, and you have to be able to afford to buy more than you need. 

smartphone
Photo by Rahul Chakraborty from Unsplash

1) Download Your Grocery Store’s App

Persoally, I use the Jewel Osco app. Here, you can clip coupons and see the weekly ad to plan ahead. This will give you an idea of what to buy and which store to buy from. A stock pile does not need to be compiled all at once and lists can be split up depending on the store. However, with the pandemic and to save you time, it is better to stick to one grocery store. 

Her Campus Media Design

2) Come Up With a List 

This list should contain only non-perishable items. The purpose of doing this is that your food will last a lot longer than perishable foods like cheese, milk, and eggs. You will have to be creative with the items you get because it will be different than your usual grocery list. A general rule is that the item should last longer than a year

3) Coupons 

After you have found a general list of what you want, go to the app and find the coupons. Coupons and sales are a must before stock piling because if not, your purchases will add up! With the app, it can be so simple to look up the item. Some apps provide barcodes to quickly scan while at the store. If you are not using the app, then you can still use coupons from a newspaper. I find this way more time consuming, plus it is easy at the store to lose track of them. 

woman wearing mask while grocery shopping
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

4) Going to the Grocery Store 

To social distance at the grocery store, you should go at night, two hours before they close or in the morning before 12. That is when I find there are less people, but it depends on your area and population. Having less people in the store is not only safer. Also, when you use coupons it can take longer, thus there will be less people annoyed behind you. 

5) Sorting Your Stock Pile 

You’re looking at all the bags and you probably are be overwhelmed. For me, I live in a dorm and space is precious. My biggest advice with small spaces is to have a raised bed and utilize that space. A raised bed is a life saver and I can store so many items that it surprises me. Then, get storage bins. Preferably, long and rectangular. Those ones are the best because they can stack up under your bed easier. After you find storage, categorize your items. The point of stock piling is not to just know you have, it but to use it! Categorizing helps you find items easier, so you can use them.

I categorize by; Kitchen, Personal Items, Snacks, Canned Food, Drinks, Mixes.

Let me break it down further so you can get an idea or base your list off mine. 

Kitchen 
  • Dish soap
  • Sponge 
  • Aluminum foil
  • Parchment paper
  • Cleaner 
  • Sweeper pads

Personal items
  • Tooth paste 
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner 
  • Pads
  • Toothbrushes
  • Deodorant 
  • Q-Tips
  • Razors 
  • Body wash 

Snacks
  • Granola bars
  • Nuts
  • Whole Wheat Crackers 
  • Trail mix 

Canned Food
  • Fruit
  • Vegetables 
  • Soup
  • Evaporated milk
  • Condense milk

Drinks 
  • Mango juice 
  • Gatorade
  • Almond milk in box 
  • Water 
Mixes/Etc. 
  • Jiffy cornbread 
  • Biscuit mix
  • Baking powder
  • Baking soda
  • Riceroni
  • Mac & cheese
  • Broth
  • Ramen
  • Mash potato packets
  • Pancake mix
  • Syrup

It is important to keep in mind what you really will use and the space that you have. With this list, I hope you get an idea of what you will need. Of course, feel free to add or take off any items. Another article that helped me out is MoneyTalksNews. 2020 has taught me to become prepared for the events I never could have imagined being in. 

Maya is currently a Senior at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Integrated Health Studies with the goal of becoming a genetic counselor. She joined HER and is excited for all the article she will create. She enjoys staying connected with pop culture and all the new restaurants.
UIC Contributor.