How To Be Sustainable During the COVID-19 Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

With the pandemic, there has been an increase in the use of single-use items, such as masks, take-out containers, disposable wipes, etc. With the concern for safety, it can be harder now to be sustainable.

Here are some tips to keep in mind to help reduce your waste

A vector illustration representing the Earth wearing a mask.
Photo from Pixabay

1. Buy a reusable maskthere are so many fabric options for finding a reusable mask. If you want added protection you can buy a filter to go inside. Just make sure the mask has a filter pocket. I have been lucky enough to get all my masks from my mom who loves to sew.
  2. Reuse take-out containers- for a lot of us we do not feel comfortable dining it, so take out is the best option. Simply wash the containers and use them for other leftovers. 
  3. Opt-out of cutlery- when getting take out they always include plastic cutlery. However, you can opt-out and instead use your silverware from home. Or buy a reuseable bamboo utensil set.
  4. Refill your hand sanitizer container- I found a little container of hand sanitizer and instead of buying a new one every time, I refill it using a bigger hand sanitizer container.
  5. Use rags instead of paper towels- especially when you are cleaning, instead of using disposable wipes, you can use rags. My favorite natural spray is Rebel Green Sparkling Glass Spray, which I found at Jewel-Osco. 
  6. Reusable coffee pod if you love using a Keurig, instead of the single-use pods, buy a reusable one. 
  7. LED lights- while being home more often you should consider changing your lights to LED, which is a more energy-efficient light. 
Maya is currently a Senior at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Integrated Health Studies with the goal of becoming a genetic counselor. She joined HER and is excited for all the article she will create. She enjoys staying connected with pop culture and all the new restaurants.
UIC Contributor.