This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I don’t know about you, but juggling school and a social life has been very challenging. I feel like I always have to choose one or the other, and it’s not only stressful, but also unfair. There have been countless times when I have said no to really fun events, and then I have been hit with the ultimate F.O.M.O. At the same time, I personally want to put my education first. With that being said, is there a way to have both? I’m here to tell you that there is! College has taught me about time management and also how to be smart with my time. So today, I’ll let you in on a few secrets that have helped me balance a healthy social and school life.

One of the biggest things that have helped me with time management and balancing everything is my planner. I know you’re probably thinking, “Wow, a planner really?” It’s a tiny, magical thing that has made a huge difference in the way I manage my time. For starters, It has helped me keep track of homework. Every time there is a homework assignment, I always write it down, which has made it impossible for me to forget about it. You definitely have to make planning a habit, but once you get the hang of it, it’s very simple and useful.

Another thing that has helped me is prioritizing. Prioritizing my tasks and responsibilities has shown me what I need to spend the most time on, and what things I can come back to later.

The last thing that has helped me maintain a social and work life is knowing when to say yes and no. I know it sounds simple, but in reality, it can be hard coming to a decision. There are times when all of your friends will want to do something very fun, and you’re going to have to choose. It’s all about being smart with your decisions. F.O.M.O is bound to happen, but it’s also important to remember that there are always going to be other opportunities.

I hope these hacks can help you guys have a healthy balance between a social and work life–they sure have helped me! You shouldn’t have to juggle the things that you love, or things that are important to you. There is always time, it’s just a matter of finding it.

Just your average girl living in a big city, trying to figure out life.
UIC Contributor.