This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

It doesn’t matter if your hair is curly, straight, blonde, black, long, or short, you need to take certain precautions when it comes to maintaining your hair. I’ve looked at several Youtube videos and Tik Tok trends to try new methods to maintain hair length, promote hair growth, and stay sanitized. Here are a few hair care tips to help you manage your daily hair routines.

1. Clean your hair scarves and tools

I know your hair cabinet is full of brushes, combs, and butterfly clips. You might even wear scarves in public. Sometimes we wear the same scarves and hats all the time that we might forget to wash them. The same goes for our hair tools. Girl, you used that same comb for the past 6 months and didn’t rinse it out once! Therefore, at the beginning or end of each month, you should practice safe hygiene by washing your hair accessories and tools. This way, you can avoid fungus and ringworms. 

Walmart

2. Scrub your scalp while shampooing

Product build-up on the scalp is caused by oily or sweaty hair. I work out a few times a week, and sometimes I get residue on my scalp. In order to solve this issue, I section my hair and place the shampoo on your scalp. Gently scrub your scalp with your hands or a scalp massager to get the residue off your scalp. Too many women place the shampoo on their hair first, which makes it difficult to detangle, and they still can have a dirty scalp. Allow the water to run the shampoo off your scalp onto your hair.

Walmart

3. Deep condition your hair twice a month

Deep conditioning your hair makes it soft, prevents breakage and promotes elasticity. This habit promotes stronger and healthier hair. I deep condition at the beginning and end of each month. I love how shiny and soft my curls are, especially in the summertime. Another benefit of deep conditioning is that it makes it easier to detangle your hair. 

Renée Lee, Mikee Lachica

4. Use a wide-tooth comb when detangling hair

Wide-tooth combs are safer for detangling damp or wet hair, compared to brushes. The brush bristles are stronger than a comb and pull out more hair. 

Photo by Element5 Digital from Pexels

Nikiya Alfred is the current events director for the UIC HER CAMPUS chapter. She's a third-year college student from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a passion for problem-solving issues in the CPS system. As an Urban Education major with a concentration in English Language Arts, she wants to explore more on Educational policy. This is the perfect opportunity for her to build relationships with other women who have a passion for writing. Please follow her on Instagram @Moondoll_7.
UIC Contributor.