This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Hey there collegiettes! This week’s campus celebrity is Gregory Madden. Greg is a sophomore Performance major looking to earn his Bachelors in Fine Arts for Theatre Performance. He plans to go out into the world and make an impact not only on himself, but to the world as the most versatile actor he can be.

Why did you decide to get into theater?

I got into theater originally out of a random choice to pick an elective for high school, but I fell in love with theatre instantly once I started acting. To me, theatre is energy, life, and freedom with a hint of magic. Anyone who has ever seen a show and thought to themselves “I feel that character inside myself” knows that magic. To be given a job to make audience members feel that way is a privilege for me and I that’s why it’s my passion.

At what age did you begin acting?

I first started acting when I was a 17 year old junior in high school.

Have you starred in any productions or movies outside of UIC?

I recently acted in my first film production over the summer called “A Perfect Day”, directed by theatre professor and director Derrick Sanders, as an extra/Basketball player. Derrick Sanders also directed the most recent UIC play “The Bluest Eye”, with which I also participated in as an understudy and ensemble member.

What professional actor would you consider a role model?

Who I would consider a role model is a hard choice because I have so many. Dwayne(the Rock) Johnson is a big influence on me motivating myself to be fearless in doing what makes you happy. Johnny Depp is also a big role model for me because of his ability to not only take on roles that are total opposites of each other, but to do them very well (Sweeny Todd, Jack Sparrow, Rango). I also have deep respect for Meryl Streep for her amazing professionalism and connection to her characters.

What would you say was your best audition? Worst?

My best audition would probably be when I auditioned in front of at least 30 to 40 college scouts. At the time, I was beyond nervous, thinking I would not impress anyone. Come to find out 25 colleges wanted me to audition at their schools. My worst audition would probably be when I tried to audition for the musical “The Wiz”, because I can’t sing to save my life.  

Are you involved in any organizations on campus? Outside of campus?

I am involved in two organizations on campus. I am currently a member or the CCP (Chicago Circle Players), which is one of the oldest student ran programs on UIC campus. I am also involved in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, which is similar, but not the same, to the National Honor Society.

Describe yourself in three words:

Determined, Gregarious, and Positive.

If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be?

The best advice I could give to anyone is that the key to having a rewarding career is to do what you love. Do what makes you happy and not what gets you the most money, unless getting money is what makes you happy. No passion is a true love if it’s not worth fighting or sacrificing for.

Nicole is a proud city girl born and raised in beautiful Chicago. She is currently a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Business Marketing major and a part of the Women's Line Up Team at Nike Chicago. She loves everything to do with fitness & health, music, urban life, and sports! In her spare time she loves to run, ride her fixie along the lakefront, do yoga, and volunteer! She is a die hard Chicago Bulls fan with a huge sweet tooth. Nicole's dream is to have a career in marketing with a focus in brand management or advertisement and sales promotion.
Claudia was born in Mexico and moved to Chicago at the age of 8. She is currently attending the University of Illinois at Chicago as a Marketing major. She is really excited to be a part of the HerCampus team and is ready to make HC grow at UIC. She can’t go a day without exercising and especially enjoys Zumba! She loves fashion and reads blogs every day, that’s where she gets her inspiration when she dresses, and hopes to one day have her own! Claudia is currently a representative for AKIRA Chicago, for discount codes contact her at (cmarti74@uic.edu). She strives to be a better person every day, and is really thankful for everything she has. One of Claudia’s favorite quotes is “Enjoy all that you have while you pursue everything that you want”.