This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The cold weather is no excuse to lock ourselves indoors and hibernate like bears. We live in Chicago! There is always plenty to do. Bundle up with cute winter accessories, get yourself a warm pumpkin latte from StarBucks, and hit the streets.

All winter long from September 27 to February 15 the Art Institute is having Greek art on display. These artworks are called Heaven and Earth: Art of Byzantium from Greek Collections, dating all the way back to the 13th century. The collections consist of mosaics, manuscripts, and architectural fragments. Some of the pieces are being exhibited for the first time in the U.S. This is a great way for you to get lost in the world of art and wait out the cold, long winter. Visit the Art Institute of Chicago website for more details.  

The Museum of Contemporary Art is hosting a “David Bowie Is” exhibit from September 23 to January 4. There are over 400 hundred costumes, photographs, and videos that chronicle David Bowie’s life. You do not have to be a fan of David Bowie, but the experience you will have will be really cool and interesting and may change your perspective on David Bowie. Remember never judge a book by its cover. For details on the opening hours and the pricing visit the Museum of Contemporary Art website.

The Greenhouse Theater Center is hosting a theatrical drama from September 10 to October 12. The Downpour is a play about two sisters that lived through an abusive childhood due to their mother’s mental illness who then later commits suicide. The play depicts a dysfunctional family trying to maintain bond while dealing with trauma and mental illness. Go to greenhousetheater.org to buy tickets.

Do you want to see a play based on Chicago? The Court Theatre and American Blues Theater presents Native Son, a theatrical drama that hits home. It is based on poverty, oppression, and racism in the Southside of Chicago in the 1930’s.  From September 11 to October 12, Native Son will have show times listed at courttheatre.org.  

Cristina is an Accounting major at UIC. She enjoys bike rides, reading, and yoga. Cristina dreams of traveling to Spain, Greece, Czech Republic, and going on a road trip through the United States. She aspires to receive her Master's degree and become a successful accountant.
UIC Contributor.