Formal Recruitment: The Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

This past weekend CPC hosted it’s Fall Formal Recruitment in which my sorority, Chi Sigma Omega, was apart of. Now, I know what you’re thinking… What’s CPC and what’s Formal Recruitment? Well, that’s why your girl, me, is here. CPC is the Collegiate Panhellenic Council for UIC’s national and local sororities that are found on campus. Think of it as a joining council for all the chapters on campus and a uniting force for all the chapters. Formal recruitment is a way for young women to learn about these great organizations on campus that are academic based and community service based. You go through three days of getting to know all the sororities and then potentially finding your place in that sorority. This can be so liberating and also comfort knowing you have a chapter of girls who are there for you regardless, as well as building your résumé in community service, holding potential executive board positions and networking. However, there are many do’s and don’ts going into formal recruitment coming from your OG Grandma of Chi Sigma Omega.

1-DON’T: I repeat DO NOT, close your mind off to other sororities:

Sometimes we have these pre-conceived notions about certain organizations and know the ones that we may want. However, you’d be extremely surprised how different that org may appear to you. When I went through formal recruitment in fall of 2015, I knew so many of my peers who focused their minds on certain organizations that they were surprised with at the end of the day and let me tell you that’s entirely the wrong thing to do. You never know how your Greek path will lead you, and it’s really important to give all orgs an equal opportunity because then you might learn something about another sorority that you may really like.

2-DO: Make sure you ask about their philanthropies in detail.

When you ask questions, the more you learn about their organization. The more questions you ask about their philanthropies the BETTER. We want your questions! The more inquisitive you are about community service the better because then it shows us you’re seriously interested in those events.

3-DO: Talk about your leadership positions that you held in high school and if you haven’t held any, stress that you DO!

When I was a PNM, I thoroughly talked about my leadership positions that I held back in high school and at my community college. Be detailed! List them and what exactly you did in those roles. It will thoroughly impress the organization, and you get to gloat a little. This is your opportunity to sell yourself, and see what you can potentially gain from the organization.

4-DON’T: Do not talk about frats, drinking or smoking.

This is honestly common sense when you think about it. Sororities are not made to party or meet Frat boys. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW BAD OF A CONVERSATION THIS WILL BE. Sororities will look down on you because of this. This is not something that is at the center of sorority life and will never be. Community service is.

5-DO: Even if you don’t end up in that organization at the end of the day: be friends with the people you meet during formal recruitment.

WHO DOESN’T WANT TO MAKE FRIENDS! Those girls that you do meet are incredible people, and why wouldn’t you want to be friends, and it’s important for networking with other organizations regardless. Friendships are lasting even if you both aren’t in the organization.

Formal recruitment is a time to get to know national and local sororities, and also to get to know yourself in the process! I can truly tell you that Formal recruitment was the stepping-stone in changing my life. Go CPC!

Senior at the University of Illinois-Chicago, studying Integrated Health, with a Nursing goal!
UIC Contributor.