This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Flames In The City

Being a Flame is awesome if you take advantage of it. There are always tons of activities going on around campus and clubs to sign up for (I.E HER Club!). One activity I like to take advantage of is Flames In The City. Flames In The City is organized by UIC Center for Student Involvement. They offer discounted tickets to events happening around Chicago. This is a great way to take advantage of something you may have been eyeing but could not afford. Last year my boyfriend and I went to Flames In the City- Bull’s Game. It was his first Bull’s game and for a total of $10 we had date night set, on a budget. This year we took advantage of Flames In the City-Nevermore Park. I was very excited for this because tickets are usually $25 but we got them for $10 each. That is a $30 savings which can be used for food afterwards (like Giordano’s but of course don’t forget to use your student discount for 15% off).

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2PDyYtldxP/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_cam…” data-instgrm-version=”12″ style=” background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% – 2px); width:calc(100% – 2px);”>

Nevermore Park is an exhibition by a Chicago artist, Hebru Brantley. You might be familiar with his street art that can be found in places around the city like Pilsen and Wicker Park. He created this exhibition to encapsulate the lives of his two characters: Flyboy and Lil Mama. While the exhibition was small it was packed with so many details. From when you first walk in with the newspaper wall full of monumental events like Obama’s election to the “L” ride taking you back to a time you only read about. It was an experience that made you forget you are in Chicago but rather in the lives of these two fictional characters. I can’t wait for the other Flames In the City events and if you are a fellow Flame then I recommend taking checking out their events!

Maya is currently a Senior at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is majoring in Integrated Health Studies with the goal of becoming a genetic counselor. She joined HER and is excited for all the article she will create. She enjoys staying connected with pop culture and all the new restaurants.
UIC Contributor.