Style

Five Items to Make Any Outfit Scream Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Believe it or not, but the long awaited autumn is finally here! The season of pumpkin spice lattes, apple picking, and hauted houses has finally arrived after a very long summer. With autumn comes new fashion trends, and the revival of old ones as well. Today I’m going to share some ways you can transform your outfits to fit in with the fall vibe!

A Pair of Ankle Booties

This is one of the easiest ways to autumnify any outfit! It’s not only about how amazing these types of boots look with outfits, but also how it makes us feel when we are wearing them! Wearing a pair of boots makes me feel unstoppable and crazy powerful. If you want to feel like the next CEO of a corporation or an overall baddass, I highly recommend getting your hands on a pair of boots! These are a smart purchase because you can find great deals, and they last a long time with the proper care. It’s crazy how shoes can transform any outfit, and in this case, boots can help you achieve the fall look whether you’re dressing down an outfit or dressing it up!

(Faux) Leather Jacket 

Like the boots, a leather jacket adds power to ANY outfit. It is a classic piece but it transforms even the simplest of outfits. Leather jackets are categorized as statement pieces and they do just that–make a statement. It adds spice to an outfit by instantly making it edgier! Many people are scared to wear a leather jacket because they don’t know if they can pull it off. Leather jackets aren’t for everyone but don’t be afraid to try it. Who knows, it might just become your favorite piece that you own!

Teddy Bear Coat

If you’re not a leather jacket type of person, or if you just prefer a more comfortable chic look then teddy bear coats are for you! These coats grew extremely popular last year but continue to stay trendy and in style. Not only are they extremely stylish, but they are also unbelievably comfortable–hence the name! They come in various colors and styles so go out and wrap yourself up in one! I promise you will not regret it!

Corduroy Skirts 

If you haven’t been living under a rock for the past month, then you know that corduroy has been insanely popular. Corduroy skirts are a classic example of popular fall fashion. You could be wearing a basic sweater, but paired with a corduroy skirt, it adds pizzazz to the entire look! 

Turtlenecks

I don’t know about you, but I am obsessed with turtlenecks! They are insanely comfortable, but also makes it look like you spent a lot of time on your outfit when in reality you didn’t. Turtlenecks can be layered, paired with different items from this list, and also make someone look/feel more put-together! All-together, they are an essential part of fall fashion and are also comfortable while being chic!

Just your average girl living in a big city, trying to figure out life.
UIC Contributor.