Don’t Miss Your Beat: An Interview with Dami Akande – WORLDOFi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

I had the chance to interview Dami Akande this week, the founder of WORLDOFi, a creative arts company in Chicago based on the management and collaboration of artists. This unique idea that started in October 2016, has taken off into fashion collections, open mic events, and art viewings. We spoke about what direction the World of i team is going in and how new artists can get involved.

Kristen Simmons: So, tell me how you came up with the idea for WORLDOFi.

Dami Akande: Basically, my best friend Malik came to me and told me about his ideas for managing Ibra [a rapper], another one of our friends, and he was telling me all of the ideas that he had and all of the things he wanted to do for Ibra specifically, and then I came and said, “Yo Malik this is really cool, I think we should do this for all artists of all art forms and experiment through more than just music. I just feel like we have the platform to give, to reach out to so many people, and we can be able to help out more than just one person. We basically just took that idea and ran with it. Now we’re doing a bunch of other stuff. I’ll get into that later! *laughs*

Kristen: So, what other stuff do you have coming up? I know I saw a lookbook online; that seems pretty cool.

Dami: Well, this October 1st was our one year anniversary.

Kristen: Well, Happy Birthday to WORLDOFi! *laughs*

Dami: Thank you, thank you! We’ve done so much in the past year, but we wanted to zero in on our main focus which is helping artists with their own craft. Along with that, we wanted to emphasize the fact that we are a black-owned business, and we want people to support not only us but other black businesses. We want to be worldwide, so we made some new apparel. It’s called The Affirmation Collection, and it’s about us connecting to our truth.

Kristen: So, who designed the production?

Dami: Malik. He’s the creative designer.

Kristen: Is this the Malik I know?

Dami: Yeah, yeah, his name is “Liko.”

Kristen: …Okay, so this may not be the Malik that I know!

Dami: *laughs* Okay, true, but if you meet him just address him as “Liko.” It’s the nickname that I gave him.

*Dami begins to show me some exclusive photographs from the website*

Kristen: These are some dope photos! Who shot them?

Dami: We have a lot of photographers that we work with: Sydney Rhinehart, “Squid” is one of them. She’s probably shot the most photos related to WORLDOFi. Liko is like the main designer of our clothes. Pretty soon, I’ll collaborate with him on a collection for WORLDOFi.

Kristen: Ooo, when’s that gonna be?

Dami: In January! We have a fashion show coming up, and we’re working on a collection called “Roots” based on where I come from and where he comes from. Basically American style clothes with a taste of like..well you know I’m from Nigeria, Africa. So, we’re going to integrate those cultures.

Kristen: And where is Malik from?

Dami: He’s from America. So Chicago, Illinois. We’re just going to integrate our cultures and express that through clothing.

Kristen: Wow, that’s fantastic!

Dami: Yeah, definitely! Don’t wanna say too much more about it.

Kristen: Okay got ya, top secret.

*both laugh*

Dami: Yeah, but that’s basically what we’re working on next, the fashion show is in January.

Kristen: I love that idea. I also love that you all creating this black excellence type of thing.

Dami: Definitely! We’re really inspired by our friends. You know Sam [WORLDOFi partner], has prgrssn [his independent clothing line] which is also great…We just know that we have to stick to our roots and where we come from. Like that’s our identity; that’s who we are that’s where we come from.

Kristen: I’ve also noticed that there’s not much management out there for art.

Dami: Exactly! Exactly.

Kristen: You know, except for things like music which is super mainstream.

Dami: Exactly, but how often do you see someone who will actively help a photographer get gigs or actively help a multi-media artist get commissioned to make an art piece…We’re also working on creating applications for new artists to join, so we can help them progress as artists, and when we do that, we’ll match people up with managers who can get them into spaces where their art will be appreciated. Like right now, we’ve even gotten some of our artists linked on Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple Music…

Kristen: Wow, so you’ve actually gotten your music artists on major platforms?

Dami: Yeah, like Ibra, for example, he’s on everything.

Kristen: That sounds like an intricate process.

Dami: Yeah, we believe in our artists and want to make sure they’re provided for.

Kristen: that’s what’s up. So…Okay, I know you have your own clothing line coming out with WORLDOFi. So, in addition to being a creative arts company itself, it’s also like a managing system for artists

Dami: Yes! You got it; so like I’m also a WORLDOFi artist. So my brand, Damination, is a clothing brand. I’m coming out with my own collection, and I’ll probably have a popup event…More details on that later!

Kristen: *laughs*

Dami: We’ve also been working with a few other artists who are already established…

Kristen: Can you drop a few names?

Dami: Sure for example, during Ibra’s listening party last year, Saba, Squeak, and Pivot Gang were all there.

Kristen: Yeah I think I heard about that…

Dami: Yeah, it was really cool! Ibra performed and people from Fat Tiger Workshop were also there. They were vibing. A couple people from YCA [Young Chicago Authors] also came and spoke with WORLDOFi. Kevin Coval, the founder of YCA came and spoke at a workshop event that we had. It’s really cool! People in the city really support us.

Kristen: I believe you; that is really cool. I remember you telling me about WORLDOFi when it was just a baby project, and now it’s a full grown kid! *laughs*

Dami: Yeah, we’re really doing things. If you come to us and tell us that you want to advance in your art, we’ll support you. And we’re really big into collabs…It’s so valuable. Because if one artist has a breakthrough, then makes it big, then the whole team has a breakthrough! That’s why we really believe in our model. We have each other’s backs.

Kristen: It’s a very unique model too. I’ve never heard of this idea before.

Dami: Yeah! I was like “Has anybody done this before?” “And I’m like ‘no I don’t think so!’. So we’re kind of trailblazing in a sense.

Kristen Simmons is a Mississippi based writer who attends the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is currently studying English Professional Writing and plans on going into the world of journalism and editing. When she's not writing, she's oil painting, connecting with friends, and coming up with new creative projects.
UIC Contributor.