This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Are you bored and wanting to try something fun, new and creative? Well, this is one of my favorite lab experiments because it’s quick and easy. These are materials that I already have in my kitchen cabinets and it allows me to connect to my artistic side. This marbling exercise can be done by yourself or with friends and family.

Materials:

• Index cards

• Food coloring kit

• Shaving cream

• Toothpicks

• Paper plates

• Paper towels

Procedure:

1. First, make sure all of your materials (food coloring kit, paper plates, white index cards and toothpicks) are new before starting the experiment. 

2. Subsequently, place a fist full amount of shaving cream on a paper plate and use a toothpick to spread it out. 

3. Then, place 6 drops of food coloring onto the shaving cream.

4. Next, take the toothpick and swirl the colors with the shaving cream. This might take a little effort. 

5.  Place the index card on the colorful shaving cream and lightly press it down. 

6. Lastly, pick up the card to remove the excess shaving cream. The back of it should mirror the swirled shaving cream. 

painting pallete
Photo by Sarah Brown from Unsplash

I find art to be a form of therapy for me, since it’s all about self-expression and emotions. This past year has been both devastating and life-changing, for the whole entire world. As a result, people have to stay inside the house and focus on school, work, and their relationships. Most of us are on electronic devices 24/7, so we’re not able to build stronger relationships with others. Additionally, some people don’t have time to read, write, or draw anymore. With this marbling exercise, you’re able to have fun and learn about the various chemical reactions these products have. Science creates beautiful things!!

Nikiya Alfred is the current events director for the UIC HER CAMPUS chapter. She's a third-year college student from the University of Illinois at Chicago with a passion for problem-solving issues in the CPS system. As an Urban Education major with a concentration in English Language Arts, she wants to explore more on Educational policy. This is the perfect opportunity for her to build relationships with other women who have a passion for writing. Please follow her on Instagram @Moondoll_7.
UIC Contributor.