This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Festive drinks are one of the best parts of the holiday season and luckily, you can make your own at home without breaking the bank. There are precise recipes on the internet for recreating your favorite Starbucks drinks, but I like to experiment and see what tastes good. Making a drink at home gives you the freedom to try out different flavors and ingredients to create a beverage you are happy with. Use the ingredients listed as a jumping-off point and get creative!

Peppermint Mocha

Ingredients:

• Hot Chocolate Mix

• Sugar and Cocoa Powder

• Vanilla Extract

• Crushed Candy Cane

• Mint Extract or Peppermint Syrup

Brew the desired amount of coffee and mix-in hot chocolate mix. If you want a richer, chocolatey flavor, use cocoa powder instead of hot chocolate. To make a white chocolate mocha, melt white chocolate chips into your drink. Use almond or coconut milk to make a dairy-free version. Stir with a candy cane to add more peppermint flavor. Eggnog Latte

Ingredients:

• Eggnog
  • Nutmeg

Add some eggnog and nutmeg to a cup of coffee and you’ve got a homemade Eggnog Latte! Top your drink off with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Gingerbread Latte

Ingredients:

• Cinnamon

• Ginger

• Sugar

• Molasses

• Milk

Experiment with the flavors listed above to create a homemade version of a festive favorite. Each of these drinks can be prepared over ice or blended into a frappuccino. Pair with your favorite baked goods. Sit back, sip, and enjoy the season!

Emma is a third-year student studying Communication at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
UIC Contributor.