This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

The weather is permitting for showing some skin to come back in for the season. Sun dresses, pretty tees and more are coming back into our favorite stores. While it’s always stylish to take care of your skin, have you ever considered skin peels? It sounds really extreme, however, it actually is really helpful for skin.

Skin peels, depending on the type and strength, take off the top layer of skin exposing the youthful glowing skin that’s underneath. It is very beneficial for minimizing the look of enlarged pores, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation. They can be found at most beauty stores including Sephora and Ulta. Or, you can get a professional to do it for you at a spa.

If you do decide to try a peel on your own there are a few things you should keep in mind!

1. Do your research

There are a plethora of peels out there for a variety of skin types. Because peels are in fact chemicals, it is important to know exactly what that chemical is and how it works on the skin. Many peels that you purchase in the store do not go in depth as to what kind of chemicals are present. Therefore, before making that trip to the store, know exactly what your face and/or body needs. Informed decisions are great decisions!

2. After choosing one, do a patch test first

Patch tests are extremely important when doing DIY beauty. A patch test means that you choose a small section of your skin to try a product on, then waiting at least 48 hours to see how your body reacts. In a situation such as a peel, it is vital to know how your skin reacts to the peel before continuing to the rest of the body.

3. Use sunblock

It is wonderful to take the time to groom yourself with peel. However, to keep those results, you need to have sunscreen in your beauty bag! After a peel, your skin is extremely delicate and needs to be consistently looked after. Especially if you used the peel with intentions to get rid of hyperpigmentation, your skin need to be protected. The sun is actually a huge culprit for appearance of scars on the body. Therefore, protect yourself with some sunblock.

Do not be intimidated by the idea of DIY skin peels! It is honestly a wonderful self-care experience. Just know the precautions and you are that much closer to lovely glowing skin!