jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dear Jaylin: Women Empowerment & How To Deal With Criticism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Question: “Can you talk about women empowerment and how to deal with criticism faced by women in higher positions?”

Photo credit to Google

Women empowerment has been a talking point for a while now, and we are recently seeing sexual harassment gaining momentum with the Times Up movement. Women have faced criticism and many inferior situations. As a woman in society, I too fear this might happen to me once I start working in society, but we don’t have to fear anymore. In order to get through these tough situations, these tips can help you when the unfortunate happens at your job.

1. If someone criticizes you, respond calmly, no matter what the remark is because no one wants to get into an awkward argument in the middle of everyone. If the criticism was uncalled for, kill them with kindness. A smile makes you the bigger person, but you can also tell them that they shouldn’t do that because you are just as much as a person as they are 
  2. Hold your head up high and keep doing what you do best. Everything has a time and place to occur, and it will fall into place when the time is right.” – Maggie Szczodruch
  3.  Understand your laws because if you experience inequality in the workplace, you can talk to someone to report their unequal treatment. 
  • Here are a few:
    • Equality Act of 2010. States that employees have the right to work in an environment where there is no bullying and rumor spreading and where employees’ work and promotion opportunities are judged on merit and performance
    • Americans With Disabilities Act. Forbids employers from discriminating against competent employees who have a disability. It also notes that employees have a right to disability-friendly workspaces. 
    • Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Protects employees and prospective candidates over the age of 40 from discrimination. This is relevant in hiring and promotions.

Here is a tweet of Meghan Markle giving a few inspirational words. 

This is another great speaker, Ashley Graham, who shares the importance of women empowerment.

If you or anyone you know is experiencing sexual harassment, call The National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673)

The National Sexual Assault Hotline offers safe and free services including:

• Confidential support from a trained staff member 
  • Support finding local health facilities
  • Information about laws in your areas & more

Also, don’t forget we want you to share what you want to read, so go hereand add a topic or question you want to read next. Have a great week, collegiettes!

I am a first-generation college student who is pursuing a bachelor's degree in communication. I am passionate about social media and the way that it allows us to connect with communities of people all over the world. I like to write about the effects of social media on our day-to-day lives, social media tips to gain followers, lifestyle, food, and things to do in Chicago.
UIC Contributor.