Chicago Cubs: The 2016 World Series Champions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

After 108 years, ten innings, and seven challenging World Series games against the Cleveland Indians, the Chicago Cubs finally won the World Series title with a score of 8-7. Under the management of Joe Maddon and the entire Cubs organization, the city of Chicago honors and celebrates a historic win. 

Ben Zobrist, left-fielder for the Chicago Cubs, wins the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award.

Game 7 Highlights: 

• Dexter Fowler, center fielder, starts off Game 7 with a home run.
  • Addison Russell, short-stop, sacrifices himself while Kris Bryant scores; Ben Zobrist advances to second base.
  • Willson Contreras, catcher, doubles while Ben Zobrist scores.
  • Javier Baez, second baseman and NLCS co-MVP, scores with a home run.
  • Anthony Rizzo, first baseman, singles while Kris Bryant scores; he advances to second base.
  • David Ross, also known as Grandpa Rossy, catcher, scores a home run.
  • Ben Zobrist, left-fielder and MVP, doubles while Almora Jr. scores; Anthony Rizzo advances to third base. 
  • Miguel Montero, catcher, hits a groundball; Anthony Rizzo scores. 
  • Kyle Schwarber serves as a designated hitter throughout the World Series, and his hit allowed Albert Almora Jr. to score for the team on his behalf.
  • Albert Almora Jr. runs the bases on Schwarber’s behalf, and he scores upon Ben Zobrist’s double. 

The Chicago Cubs had a great season overall with a record of 103-58; from a first place standing in the National League, winning the National League Championship Series (NLCS), to a World Series title. It is definitely an unforgettable record-breaking World Series, throughout this journey, many doubted the success and potential of the Cubs. However, the Cubs proved to the world that it is not an easy ride, perseverance and teamwork prevails against all odds. 

Hello, everyone, my name is Shirley Toy. I am a graduate of the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with a Bachelor's in English, concentrating in Professional Writing and double minors in Spanish and Communication. I am an alum of Her Campus at UIC, where I served as a writer, Co-Campus Correspondent, and Editor-in-Chief. At the National level, I served as a Chapter Advisor for the 2017-2018 academic year. These opportunities are perfect because I get to merge my passions for writing, leadership, and technology together. Follow & Tweet me on Twitter @_shirleyst!
UIC Contributor.